Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

checking wheel spacers

Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking wheel spacers

I just installed 1.5" Rough Country wheel spacers and i have a installation/maintenance questions. (i wasn't able to find the needed answer on previous threads)

1. I used Permatex 27100 Threadlocker Red on the studs, but i just put some permatex on the upside part of each stud (so is like only the upper half of the stud had permatex before applying the nut. Was that enough?

2. it is recommended to retighten the nuts of the spacers after (Rough country say 500 miles, spidertrax say 50 miles)... but i am wondering... if the permatex is supposed to be "permanent" how to "retorque"? if permatex is working, they are not supposed to loosen up, but i am not supposed to be able to tighten them anymore.... am i right?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your wrench out. Set it to 90 ft lbs.... Check all the nuts on your spacers.... You should just hear clicks... Of not then be glad you rechecked them. I've had no issued with my spider trax.... Over 25k miles this year.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 AM
JK Freak

When I put my Spidertrax on I used the Red Loctite Thread Locker and torqued them to 90-95 lbs. After about 100 miles I rechecked the torque by torquing to 80-85 lbs so that I didn't break the existing bond on the threadlock.

Rick
Old 03-24-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remborsky
When I put my Spidertrax on I used the Red Loctite Thread Locker and torqued them to 90-95 lbs. After about 100 miles I rechecked the torque by torquing to 80-85 lbs so that I didn't break the existing bond on the threadlock.

Rick
so.... you could be driving around with improperly torque wheels spacers?

To answer your question bingote, you might have to check with the manufacturer as to when to and or how to recheck them without breaking the bond.

Last edited by Dark_Star; 03-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. I used Permatex 27100 Threadlocker Red on the studs, but i just put some permatex on the upside part of each stud (so is like only the upper half of the stud had permatex before applying the nut. Was that enough?
Should be fine. It doesn't take much. By spinning on the nut through the compound should have evenly distributed the compound.

2. it is recommended to retighten the nuts of the spacers after (Rough country say 500 miles, spidertrax say 50 miles)... but i am wondering... if the permatex is supposed to be "permanent" how to "retorque"? if permatex is working, they are not supposed to loosen up, but i am not supposed to be able to tighten them anymore.... am i right?
Recheck them soon after the install. And about every 3000 to 5000 miles after. Might as well go ahead and rotate the tires at the same time. Check them at a slightly lower torque setting than the original install. The lower setting should keep from breaking the "lock".
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Should be fine. It doesn't take much. By spinning on the nut through the compound should have evenly distributed the compound.

Recheck them soon after the install. And about every 3000 to 5000 miles after. Might as well go ahead and rotate the tires at the same time. Check them at a slightly lower torque setting than the original install. The lower setting should keep from breaking the "lock".
what he just said...that's what i have been doing for a year and have never found a loose one yet!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dark_Star

To answer your question bingote, you might have to check with the manufacturer as to when to and or how to recheck them without breaking the bond.
Rough Country recommends checking after 50 miles, but just says to "retorque"... i like the idea of retorquing at a lower torque, so, if everything is OK, nothing will happen. At least i think so
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Yeah, sounds good to me. The thing is i don't know the torque used to install the spacers because i did it at a tire shop and they used an air tool. Maybe i should just retorque at the specified ~85 - 90 lbs and if nothing happens, then think everything is fine?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

i HATE when tire shops just use air tools and jam everything down as tight as they can. just get out a manual torque wrench and check them.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
i HATE when tire shops just use air tools and jam everything down as tight as they can. just get out a manual torque wrench and check them.
If they use the torque thingy on their air tools, then everything should be fine. But you will have to ask what torque they are set for. I make sure I see them every time. I had a blowout during an emergency and couldn't change a tire.

Quick Reply: checking wheel spacers