Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Chrome vs Polished Alloy

Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome vs Polished Alloy

I am buying some new wheels and wondering if the ProComp Chrome wheels are any different than the ProComp polished alloys for maintaining the finish and not pitting. Are the new chromes all right now? I live in MN so snow / salt is a factor. -Thx.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking chromed steel, or chromed aluminum? In my experience, chromed aluminum likes to peel. Chromed steel works great if its a high quality dip. Otherwise you will get some rust with all that salt.

The polished aluminum wheels have a clear coat on them (or the better ones do anyway). But if you really want a wheel that will stand up, get one that is anodized. Unless you get a deep scratch, they will hold up for ever (almost).
Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 AM
JK Freak

You could allways take them off in the salt season. That is what I use to do when I had some Weld Racing Rims on my truck.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zook
You could allways take them off in the salt season. That is what I use to do when I had some Weld Racing Rims on my truck.
Thats what I do, its really the only way to protect expsensive wheels. I do have a set of weld racing chrome wheels on my other truck and they have held up well to the salt, but I was them and polish them alot to keep them good.

Its one of the reasons I went with black wheels this time around, but I still keep these clean too to prevent wear.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if budget permits get some second hand steel wheels for offroad. Thats what I am gona do get some beadlock wheels and not worry about legal issues or alignment issues etc just bash them.

Quick Reply: Chrome vs Polished Alloy