Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cibie H4 lights

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cibie H4 lights

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct number for the Cibie headlights that fit our jeeps.
Cibie 082440

Cheers
Al
2014 JKUS
Old 11-23-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

The ones I got 082440-Cibie 7'' H4 headlamp lens-reflector unit the ones I got
Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

THanks Donny..Good to hear
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Al Gilliland
Can anyone tell me if this is the correct number for the Cibie headlights that fit our jeeps.
Cibie 082440

Cheers
Al
2014 JKUS
Check with Daniel Stern Lighting, he would know.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Here's some info I got from DS long but a lot of info

The lamps you want are Cibie H4 units, $79/ea. All of the reputable-brand 7" headlamps presently available (Cibie, Bosch, Hella) are well made of good quality materials, but the Cibies are the most efficient, best focused, highest performing units of their type -- more detail on request. There's a great deal of junk on the market, too. Delta, Roundeyes, Adjure, Eagle Eye, Eaglite, Maxtel, Eurolite, and dozens of other off-brand units mostly from China. Avoid all of it; you've already got a set of pretty but useless toy headlites. Also take cautious note that many vendors are offering Bosch 7" H4 headlamps at blowout prices of about fifty bucks a pair. Nice price, but they are surplus motorcycle headlamps, and though they'll physically fit, they aren't car/truck headlamps and their performance isn't adequate for car/truck service.

you aren't upgrading the wiring you will need to get good-quality pigtail adaptors to let you plug the new headlamps into the Jeep's existing wiring without cutting. These are $26.40/ea.

Which bulbs to select depends on whether you'll upgrade the headlamp circuit; with stock wiring you need to stay within
spitting distance of the original bulb wattage. The Osram 70/65w bulb, $21.59/ea, is a fine choice in this case, and
the combination of Cibie lamps, 70/65w bulbs, and adaptor pigtails is the most cost-effective (biggest bang for the buck) package.

There is a significant downside to installing a relay harness: MUCH shorter bulb lifespan. The headlamp circuit on a JK Wrangler is voltage-regulated. Installing a relay harness
eliminates this voltage regulated feed to the headlamps; they see full line voltage, which is both higher and spikier than the regulated voltage. They will be somewhat brighter, but much shorter lived. As voltage increases, bulb output increases exponentially to the power 3.4, but bulb lifespan drops exponentially to the power -13 (negative 13). The only good reason to install a harness is if you need to run
high-wattage bulbs the original wiring can't support.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks again Donny and iron gate. I did send an email to DS and he did return my emails with some great info. My only concern is I can get the Cibie lights her in Calgary for a cheaper price. When I asked DS about the number of the unit, I have posted, he wouldn't tell me if that is the correct unit and I understand as I wouldn't be buying from him. So I'm on a mission to find out if that is the correct number for the Cibie lights

Cheers
Al
Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks again Donny and iron gate. I did send an email to DS and he did return my emails with some great info. My only concern is I can get the Cibie lights her in Calgary for a cheaper price. When I asked DS about the number of the unit, I have posted, he wouldn't tell me if that is the correct unit and I understand as I wouldn't be buying from him. So I'm on a mission to find out if that is the correct number for the Cibie lights

Cheers
Al
Old 11-23-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Not to step into anything, but DS charges $79 per lamp, for good God, how much cheaper can they be. DS set me up with Cibie headlamps, Super Oscar driving lights, bulbs and harness. It all came as ordered and worked perfectly, it's worth a few bucks for good advise and service.
At least I think so. To each his own, I hope you end up happy with your purchase.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased the Cibie H4 headlamps and upgraded wiring harness from Daniel Stern a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. DS had been and continues to be very responsive and informative (charts and diagrams where available) whenever I have questions. I'm running 100/80 watt Hella bulbs and life is good - very good and very bright without any flashing for oncoming drivers. Bulb life is a shorter than normal but well worth the upgrade in lighting performance.

Quick Reply: Cibie H4 lights