Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clutch pedal on the floor.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal on the floor.

Is it just me or did I miss something when having my lift kit installed. 2 weeks ago I had my 2.5 inch RC lift installed and it was kinda tough to shift into gears afterwords. Today I had my rig parked for over 8 hours and I couldn't get it into first gear until I rolled about 3 feet in neutral. When I got into my manual 2007 JKU I noticed that I had to step more than usual on the clutch pedal before shifting it into first gear. I had 325/65/18s with 1.5 inch spacers mounted on yesterday. Could the shift problem be related to getting bigger tires and having a lift kit installed? There were no modifications done other than what I had mentioned. I have a 2007 JKU Sahara with 75,000 miles. Can somebody give me some insight on whats going on please?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:05 AM
JK Newbie

Did you have a suspension lift or a body lift installed?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really won't have anything to do with the tires or spacers. I can't be totally sure about a body lift but I'd definitely rule out a suspensions lift as well
Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

My thought...you're low on clutch/break fluid, and it was just purely coincidence that it happened shortly after installing the lift. The clutch slave cylinder in the jk imo isn't the best design. They can be fine and then just out of the blue leak or fail completely, or they can make all kinds of noises and be fine for years. I would check your break fluid, if its low fill it up and see if you can get some pressure back. If it was low and you do get some pressure back you'll need a buddy to help you bleed air that's probably in there now. If its not low, i would remove the slave and inspect it for damage, and clean and grease or replace it. They're not hard to replace, although bleeding them can be a pain. Its really the only thing that can effect pedal feel, unless you have serious clutch plate damage, or a completely destroyed throw out bearing both would most likely make clutch pedal feel extremely stiff...since yours is becoming like a wet noodle, i suggest looking at your break fluid and slave cylinder first
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120126_222753.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	340869  
Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by efan450
My thought...you're low on clutch/break fluid, and it was just purely coincidence that it happened shortly after installing the lift. The clutch slave cylinder in the jk imo isn't the best design. They can be fine and then just out of the blue leak or fail completely, or they can make all kinds of noises and be fine for years. I would check your break fluid, if its low fill it up and see if you can get some pressure back. If it was low and you do get some pressure back you'll need a buddy to help you bleed air that's probably in there now. If its not low, i would remove the slave and inspect it for damage, and clean and grease or replace it. They're not hard to replace, although bleeding them can be a pain. Its really the only thing that can effect pedal feel, unless you have serious clutch plate damage, or a completely destroyed throw out bearing both would most likely make clutch pedal feel extremely stiff...since yours is becoming like a wet noodle, i suggest looking at your break fluid and slave cylinder first
what he said. most likely a clutch slave issue. look under your jeep by the transmission and you might see a leak around the slave and or from the bottom of the bell housing.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess that it was a coincidence that the clutch pedal felt like that after the install. The info is very helpful, thanks guys. I guess that I'm off to the shop now. Thanks again all. Have a safe weekend!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got back from the shop and discovered that there were no leaks anywhere. The spongy clutch pedal was caused by low brake fluid... What a surprise, I thought that I may have needed to buy a new clutch. Apparently the clutch runs off the brake reservoir which is kinda weird. Problem solved... for now LoL. Thanks again peoples! Have a safe weekend all
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk bobby
Just got back from the shop and discovered that there were no leaks anywhere. The spongy clutch pedal was caused by low brake fluid... What a surprise, I thought that I may have needed to buy a new clutch. Apparently the clutch runs off the brake reservoir which is kinda weird. Problem solved... for now LoL. Thanks again peoples! Have a safe weekend all
Glad to hear it was something simple, its very common to have the break and clutch fluid share the same reservoir, it splits off inside the master cylinder so if one system leaks the other won't loose fluid, but Both the breaks and clutch system are sealed units...they can not be low unless they are leaking...period...keep an eye in the fluid level and check your slave and surrounding area often for wet spots...I'd bet you'll be replacing a slave or topping it off soon, keep us updated!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd bet you'll be replacing a slave or topping it off soon

please don't say that

Click image for larger version

Name:	darth_vader_noooo1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	341045
Old 07-14-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fluid is leaking out somewhere since it doesn't evaporate. Check all brake cylinders at the wheels and flexible brake lines etc. if it is not leaking at the clutch slave cylinder. Keep an eye on the reservoir level until you discover where it's leaking out of the system.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal on the floor.