Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CO2 vs. ARB under-the-hood air compressor

Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CO2 vs. ARB under-the-hood air compressor

I currently have a 10 lb. CO2 tank for airing up my tires after a run. It's fast, but refilling the CO2 cylinder is a hassle. I'm thinking of mounting the ARB air compressor under-the-hood like the recent write-up shows.

Does anyone have experience with the CO2 vs. the ARB? Does the ARB take much longer than CO2 to fill the tires?

I am not going to have air tools, so that's not a consideration.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

which ARB compressor are you thinking of? I had one with my TJ and found that it would overheat too fast and it was very slow to fill the tires. I had to fill one tire at a time and give it time to cool off before going to the next one. but i assume they make others that dont have that problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also use CO2 and your right about the refill being a pain. I also saw the right up on the ARB and thought about it doing it but would like to add a storage tank.So it doesn't take so long to fill the tires and so i could get the bead to reseal if needed.The CO2 has saved a couple times on a pop bead.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Jedi

Have them both...use CO2 till it runs out then I use the compressor to finsih. Hassel, not really. How much do you do to prep your Jeep for the trail. How much do you do to get it road ready when done with the trail? This is just one more thing to do and stay on top of. This is what trail riding is all about. Like getting the fine dust out the suspension after the trail. Top off the tank every 2 fill ups. Just my
Old 09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

The ARB works about the same as one of those little compressors you hook up to the lighter......nah, its faster, but not that much.

corey d
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 PM
JPT
JK Newbie

Why is it a hassle to refill co2? Most liquor stores that sell kegs carry them. Trade old bottle in and get a new one for $18. Unless you have a nice shiny one, then I could see the hassle.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a 20# bottle, place to swap them out is just down the road from work. $25 a swap, should last a good amount with the 20# bottle. I much rather fill the bottle than wait on air.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by utah-jk
I currently have a 10 lb. CO2 tank for airing up my tires after a run. It's fast, but refilling the CO2 cylinder is a hassle. I'm thinking of mounting the ARB air compressor under-the-hood like the recent write-up shows.

Does anyone have experience with the CO2 vs. the ARB? Does the ARB take much longer than CO2 to fill the tires?

I am not going to have air tools, so that's not a consideration.

For many many years the CO2 been my primary set up for airing up, air tools, re seating the beads and etc. Since I get it refilled about 8 miles away from me. The ARB compressor is actually my back up air source.

The CO2 only take about 30sec-45sec per 37" tire for me and about 2 min 45 sec for the compressor( if i remember correctly).

Under the hood set up is a excellent choice to save space and money but definitely keep the CO2 for other handy works.

Quick Reply: CO2 vs. ARB under-the-hood air compressor