Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coast Front Driveshaft Install

Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Torqued mine to 160 ft lbs and had no problems. Follow the jk forum write up wol knows his stuff
Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by Mhare
I Torqued mine to 160 ft lbs and had no problems. Follow the jk forum write up wol knows his stuff
I did the same 160 ft lbs after talking to Dave at Northridge, they've done hundreds and that was good enough for me. Just be aware getting both yokes off required a beefy gear puller

Good luck
Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did front and rear Coast shafts and like many others, just torqued to 160. No worries.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Willard,

I have both front and rear Coast DS sitting in the shed along with rear upper control arms, sitting in the shed. I also keep going back and forth as to do it myself or not! If you are not one of the lucky ones it will cost close to having new pinion bearings installed, which I believe would require resetting the gears, and around here thats is $1,500 for both axles. The local 4wheelparts store toaled me $100 per DS.

I am hoping to mine will hold out till I regear next summer and have them install them then.

Good luck either way!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been sitting on my front DS as well going back and forth on doing it myself.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunDude
Willard,

I have both front and rear Coast DS sitting in the shed along with rear upper control arms, sitting in the shed. I also keep going back and forth as to do it myself or not! If you are not one of the lucky ones it will cost close to having new pinion bearings installed, which I believe would require resetting the gears, and around here thats is $1,500 for both axles. The local 4wheelparts store toaled me $100 per DS.

I am hoping to mine will hold out till I regear next summer and have them install them then.

Good luck either way!
Im also going to ask what it would cost to just put the yokes on. I know that is the hard part but all I really need is the pinion nut torqued to the proper setting. Ive already removed the old shaft so it's literally one nut...kind of.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Speaking of that pinion nut...is okay to reuse it or should I get a new one?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

I know it's pretty easy and everyone that has done it themselves says it was really easy but for $65 at my local shop, it was a no brainer and worth the $65...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MtraXX
I know it's pretty easy and everyone that has done it themselves says it was really easy but for $65 at my local shop, it was a no brainer and worth the $65...
I agree with this... I only did it myself b/c I did the lift at the same time... I am not above paying a shop to do work when it comes out to less than 1 or 2 hours of shop rate, I don't bother doing things I find a PIA that a shop will do in a single hour like flush radiator, flush brake fluid, change brake pads etc... I do my own oil but thats just b/c I like to buy my own filter and oil and know its done right and with a lifted jeep it doesn't take very long
Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your local shop probably just torqued it to 160 and called it a day too.

Just for the record I was nervous too, followed the WOL write up and 7000 miles later its still holding together...but maybe I'm just lucky. LOL!

FWIW: You should at least look under there and figure out how to do it, just in case something happens on the trail.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Coast Front Driveshaft Install