Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coil spring shift

Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil spring shift

I've noticed a couple of times now after I've gone wheeling, that my rear coil spring in the rear driver side keeps shifting on the upper "isolator" (?). I'm not sure if that's what it's called...sounds good in my head for now. I've had to jack my jeep up enough twice now to where there isn't any pressure on the suspension so I can move it back. It rubs a little on my rear track bar bracket and has worn the paint off the spring in one spot. Are there any easy ways to fix this? It's just annoying really. I can try and post a pic later on.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Your shocks are a little long for your springs. Just buy some spring retainers and you'll be fine.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...807RRK&cat=273
Look at that! Awesome, thank you. Anyone happen to use these at all? or have any pics with them installed? I just have to figure out what I'd have to do to install them. I live in a condo so I'd like to see if I have to go to a garage and use a lift or if I can just bolt it on in the parking spot.

Thanks again
Old 08-31-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VaNomad0530
Look at that! Awesome, thank you. Anyone happen to use these at all? or have any pics with them installed? I just have to figure out what I'd have to do to install them. I live in a condo so I'd like to see if I have to go to a garage and use a lift or if I can just bolt it on in the parking spot.

Thanks again
If you have AEV progressive springs, only the lower retainers fit. There is no room for the parts to slide between the spring coils on top.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
If you have AEV progressive springs, only the lower retainers fit. There is no room for the parts to slide between the spring coils on top.
Well, F......You have the same issue? I see you have the same lift. If you do, have you used anything to fix the issue? and what.

thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by VaNomad0530

Thanks again
I am running them and it depends of if you need to reset your springs. If they are aligned like they are suppose to you should be able to install them without a lift. If you need to reset your springs then you will need a lift.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
How is the top of AEV springs different then any other spring?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayhawkJeep
How is the top of AEV springs different then any other spring?
To be honest I'm not too sure....I think they are a little tighter up top, I'm kind ofhoping someone else will tell us though.

I actually found AEV's forum and have found that this is an issue that a lot of people are having with this lift because the shocks are pretty long compared to the springs. Apparantly the majority of people are getting the Teraflex .5" coil spacer. It sits on top and has a nipple type design that guides the springs back in place. I think I'll probably be doing this option.

I'm hoping this fixes it because when My springs are off a little they start to bow and it's a nuisance to have to lift it up and adjust the springs after every wheeling trip.

If anyone does anything different please post. I'd like to hear.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Maybe you need shorter shocks or a set of these ...

I actually had the same problem and solved it with shorter shocks. More in this thread ...
rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Last edited by HG07JKRubi; 08-31-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Teraflex nipples. They're nice. Once you go long nipple, u settle for nuthin less.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while i am not running aev springs, i heard of others having this issue with the rear springs dislocating and i took preventative steps. i installed the upper spring retainer from currie (very robust clamps and bolts)and used the lower spring retainer that came with the teraflex kit.

Quick Reply: Coil spring shift