Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover valving

Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover valving

Ordering some Fox coilovers soon and was hoping to get some info on basic valving. I have found some spring rates and was hoping to get valving close to start with. Any info would help. Or if someone can point me in the right direction.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

You need to know the corner weights of you rig and suspension information on it(where are shocks mounted, length, %droop vs compression, spring rates, double rate vs triple rate, driving style, terrain type, etc). I suggest starting with the base valving. If you order from a reputable place, many will revalve for free, or its easy to do yourself. Coilovers create a whole new learning curve with how to set up your jeep. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even spring rates will vary drastically on expectations and valving. Never dial your shocks in by the coils rate.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Like Ringer said, and buy them from someone that knows what they are doing not based on the cheapest price you find. If the seller is not asking the questions rRinger brought up move on. I use Filthy motorsports out of Colorado but they are a King dealer not fox. King also provides service and will swap out coils at KOTH if you ever go down there. They will do a free evaluation and make adjustments. Not sure if fox offers this free service but they are down there as well as other shock manufacturers.

Coil rates are based on ride height and % of up/down travel based on the weight of YOUR JEEP so I am not sure how you have decided on coil rates. IMO I think most people run way too high a coil rate which gives them too much lift.

Valving is dependent on what kind of driving you will be doing. Daily driver, rock crawling, high speed off road. I would pick what you do the most with your jeep, if its a daily driver you don't want high speed if comfort is something you desire. You can add things like compression adjusters, internal bypass, and hydraulic bump stops to compensate for different driving conditions.

Good luck with the upgrade as properly set up coil overs are a sweet way to go.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the EVO/King rear bolt on set up with 250/250 spring rate, 150psi nitrogen pressure & they seem to bottom out on the bump stops fairly easily. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I think evo used too heavy a coil rate and gets people to buy too long a shock unless they are running a lot of lift. If you are running less then 5" of lift I think you would be lacing available up travel . How much shaft do you have at ride height and how much distance do you have between bumps? What travel are you running 12" or 14"?

Most evo set ups I see are not properly set up,
Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I agree with the comments and facts stated already and highlighted again by others.

To the OP, there are so many ways to setup a coilover. Keep in mind it's a system and there are many different opinion on what is the best feeling ride, especially since speed plays a factor. I'm a fan of light valving but I also have an adjustable compression knob which I adjust depending on the activity.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Coilovers on JKs, especially 4 doors, can be fun to figure out. Fun in that weight changes in the rear can play havoc to required spring rates, valving, and a lot of other things. Adding passengers, camping gear, an ice chest, and all the goodies can be a problem. We typically suggest setting the rears up a little stiffer if you plan on loading and unloading the luggage a bunch. It's a compromise and won't ride the best when empty or full. Otherwise, bottoming out could become a problem if you're looking for an aggressive go fast tune.

Your best bet is to talk with coilover maker and see if they have a tuner they could recommend in your area. Then work and maybe purchase it through/with their recommendations.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies, I am glad i asked the question. I am at the point were i want to go faster through the desert and still have fun on the trails and rocks. Not a daily, but I do try and drive it every once and awhile. The guy who is going to put them in has said to get a basic spring rate and go from there, then figure out valving. I didn't really know if that's something i could order them with or not.. so learning has occurred. I am going FOX because the builder knows them the best and recommended them, plus he can get a very nice deal on them. I completely expect to put some time and work into the tuning and I thankful for the input. I got the spring rates from searching, and knowing that they are all different i suppose I will start there knowing they will most likely change. I am looking to get 14's in the rear through the tub. and 12's up front with a weld in mount of some sort. The rates i have found are 150/300 front and 225/350 rear. Fox 2.0 with resi.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Sounds bad ass, hope to see you out at Rocktoberfest.

Quick Reply: Coilover valving