Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a drop in K&N from the auto parts store for $50 and I noticed a difference, but nothing crazy. From what I have gathered, I pretty much got the same result as others have with the full CAI kits. My mileage bumped up about 1mpg overall and noticed a slightly better throttle response. For $50, its worth it IMO...

I was however very close to getting the S&B system. I have had 2 of their products in the past on my previous trucks (98 Silverado & 2000 Sierra) and I they worked great. The only reason I didn't end up going with one for my Jeep was because I don't want to worry about water to get in there.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

You can pull the trigger on a CAI, but you really need a Superchips Flashpaq. That was the best $300.00 I have spent on the jeep yet.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ario56
X2... After seeing the sketches for the new RR snorkel, i'm holding off on buying any intake related product, until that comes out!

X3 - totally agree, the RR CAI/Snorkel looks like it will be exactly what I want. Time will tell though, the sketch looks real good though.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Im not knocking any CAI, but after having one, and reading all of the info I can on the various units available, I have never been convinced it did a dang thing to improve the JK's performance or decrease gas consumption. I look at it along with many other "improvements" for Jeep owners as something to spend money on and list on the bottom of our mod lists to make us feel good.
Do what you want for yourself, and forget any fancy expectations for improved performance...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just because everyone claims +100mpgs difference, don't expect to get it.

every jeep is different.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

has anyone tried the rusty's offroad "airtube" deal? I think it's $40, and you have to pay for a filter. It looks to be pretty much the same as some of the other CAI's, in principle.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mctaggsm
has anyone tried the rusty's offroad "airtube" deal? I think it's $40, and you have to pay for a filter. It looks to be pretty much the same as some of the other CAI's, in principle.
I 'm looking at this as well. I will eventually be going with the full snorkel, but I wanna play with the options to see what fits my Jeep usage and wants.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have an AFE intake. Not really a true cold air, but it has made a small improvement on the mpg, if I don't stomp on the throttle.

I owe too much on my jeep to take it into real deep water maybe when it's paid off ill throw a snorkel on when it can be a toy not a DD.

I think intake and exhaust are worth it. Makes it sound cooler too!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 12-25-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive tried stock, stock box with afe filter, airaid intake, and currently afe stg.2 with airbox. I like the afe because it doesnt have a watermelon sized intake tube like airaid. Improves throttle response but also had decent top end response. I switched back and forth several times and i noticed the best difference with the afe kit and superchips 87 tune. Im switching back to the stock airbox/snorkel to protect my dyson sucking supercharger.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake