Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

cold air intake and water / mud

Old 11-29-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake and water / mud

i have an airaid cai and finally was able to take the jeep someplace top get it muddy. when i got it home to clean it noticed that there was mud in he box with the filter, not alot but it was there. has anyone had trouble getting water or mud in the intake with these open air filters? how much good does the prefilter do? i know a snorkel would solve this problem i'm just ready to get that hardcore.... yet.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been wondering about that myself. Luckily here in NM it's pretty dry and I haven't had to find out first hand yet!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by goldenboy
i have an airaid cai and finally was able to take the jeep someplace top get it muddy. when i got it home to clean it noticed that there was mud in he box with the filter, not alot but it was there. has anyone had trouble getting water or mud in the intake with these open air filters? how much good does the prefilter do? i know a snorkel would solve this problem i'm just ready to get that hardcore.... yet.
You guys may not get that many replies because this has been gone over a bazillion times. Just do a search and you will find your answer/s.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

CAI + water or mud = fail

there have been a few on here that have had a CAI and went in some mud and/or water and never made it out the other side and had to be draged back home and install another motor
Old 11-29-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

X2 for what muddpuppy01 says.

The stock airbox will actually do a much better job IF you are not going to stay on pavement. aka, mud or water..
The only closed system is the Volant but the snorkel is horrible. IMHO
If you want to run a CAI AND do mud/ water then get a filter cover, I know someone that has one but they are not on this forum. He dogs his rig, and has no problems running a CAI with the filter cover. The manufacturer of your specific CAI should be able to guide you to a solution ...
Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

yeah i did a search and i think the answer is that it doesn't really matter what intake you have if you drive fast.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Huh!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Just a thought, but the moderator (forum master) should create a forum specific to CAI, Axle, Interiors, Tires/Suspension, Bumpers, etc...that would sooooo cut down on the amount of redundant questions.

Now with that said, the only stupid question is one that is not asked...but if it's asked over and over....

(Too bad there isn't a smily of a guy pulling his hair out!)
Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldenboy
I have an AirRaid cai as well, and let me tell you the design of this thing is ridiculous. If you want power and a great sound, but NEVER take your Jeep through ANY water get the AirRaid. I mean the thing is just wide open.
Not that it has stopped me.

But BE CAREFUL with that thing, the last thing you need is water in the intake of your brand new Jeep. The AirRaid was on my Jeep when I bought it used with 15k. I am looking to get a snorkel ASAP.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jjhinman
Huh!
I think I know what he's talking about. A while back there was a thread asking if you've had water in the engine, were you running a stock airbox or cai and what were you doing to cause it to happen. It was about 50-50 between stock airbox and cai, but nearly all of them were hitting the water hard causing a lot of splashing.

Quick Reply: cold air intake and water / mud