Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?

so i have a 2012 wrangler sport with basically no performance mods, only thing is a gibson catback dual exhaust. i was looking at the Banks ram air intake and cancelled my order after reading it wasnt worth it to get.... so is it worth it to get that or just upgrade the filter on the stock intake? or any better ones? just need some ideas
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general concensus is you have better ways to spend your money. You will see minimal power gains, increase noise and be at greater risk for sucking in water. If you want to play with your intake most people will say either throw in like a K&N drop in filter or get a snorkel. That being said if you want one, get one. Just don't expect amazing power gains or better fuel economy. Personally I would find something else on your Jeep that needs attention.

Last edited by BigSteve; 01-13-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have heard CAI are notorious for allowing water in and hydro lock. This has been my hesitance.
Can anyone verify or add to this.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask yourself, what is it you expect to get out of a CAI on a 2012? Are you looking for that extra .005 quicker in the quarter mile? Your not going to see anything for gas mileage, your not going to get anything out of it on the trail, they are more likely to suck in water when fording, they do have a different tone, but as for performance gains, is the couple hundred dollars worth it to say you have a CAI? Get some stickers, put them on your jeep call it a day. Hell of a lot cheaper, just as much performance gains.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm happy with the k&n drop in filter I have... Still have factory protection against water and enough of an improvement in sound and throttle response to make me think it's made an improvement...

HP claims aside, I noticed before the filter I had to shift more often on hilly roads, but now I don't...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2012 JKU and installed an Airraid CAI. I didn't instal a cat back exhaust yet though. As far as the intake goes, I think the Airraid kit has great fit and finish and once I installed it looks factory and fits like a glove. I'm sure the Banks kit is similar, they always make quality parts. I noticed a definite throaty noise when getting on the throttle and maybe a bit of off the line punch. But I do believe to get any real noticeable gains, you have to have both a quality intake and exhaust working together. You really won't gain anything if your using one without the other.
As far as intakes go, I'd go either Airraid or Banks and stay away from kits that don't use a sealed filter box. That's my 2 cents
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlacatl
I'm happy with the k&n drop in filter I have... Still have factory protection against water and enough of an improvement in sound and throttle response to make me think it's made an improvement...

HP claims aside, I noticed before the filter I had to shift more often on hilly roads, but now I don't...
I call bs on that. Here is what you do, hand someone both the OEM filter and the K&N and tell them to put one in your jeep. And if you can tell them 5 out of 5 times which filter is in there then I will believe you. But I've done DYNO's with K&N and stock filters on LSx's and there is no gain on the dyno. Even 5 wrhp change a person can not tell the difference, so a filter change is going to be just a physiological thing.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would go K&N drop in and call it a day
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just so you know, the Airraid and Banks kits both use sealed boxes and use the same hole in the fender as the stock intake. So as far as being more susceptible to inhaling water than your stock setup is not true. The kits that just use a metal shield are the ones you need to stay clear of.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoysRig

I call bs on that. Here is what you do, hand someone both the OEM filter and the K&N and tell them to put one in your jeep. And if you can tell them 5 out of 5 times which filter is in there then I will believe you. But I've done DYNO's with K&N and stock filters on LSx's and there is no gain on the dyno. Even 5 wrhp change a person can not tell the difference, so a filter change is going to be just a physiological thing.
Physiological thing eh? Well thats interesting... I made no HP gain claims, my claim is qualitative in that I perceive a difference in quality of ride under load (a hill)... I haven't dyno'd but I claim a difference, what the actual difference is I don't know... I suppose "physiological" is possible?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?