Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deertick
damn look what i started....haha

im not trying to get HP out of it, more so just a better sound with the combo of that and my exhaust. if i put in a KandN drop filter on it do you think that will change the tone of my exhaust? or change it enough to the point that it's worth it?
No sound change.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Volant on mine. Works fine and gave a little more elasticity to the engine. Sound got a bit more "guttural". Based on the difference, however, not sure I'd install a CAI again.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Just install a snorkel and kill two birds at once :-)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deertick
damn look what i started....haha

im not trying to get HP out of it, more so just a better sound with the combo of that and my exhaust. if i put in a KandN drop filter on it do you think that will change the tone of my exhaust? or change it enough to the point that it's worth it?
Yes there is a discernible change in tone... Even more so if you swiss cheese the air box, but I wouldn't do that... Before I added a dynomax muffler other Jeepers thought I had changed my muffler without having done so, only the air filter changed the note... Its not a huge difference, but enough to make the note a little deeper...

Before the bs ref chimes in, we're not talking a huge difference but enough of one for me to notice...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

For the person that wants to know if there is going to be a sound difference going to just a drop in K&N try this.... Remove your stock air filter, clean out all the debris in the box close the box up with out the stock air filter and then start the vehicle up. Then put the filter back in and start it up again. And let me know just how much of a difference in sound it has. We've dyno'ed high end vehicles with and with out air filters the most you will EVER see is about 1-2 hp. Just how the hell K&N can claim 8 hp with their filter when only 1 or 2 are gain over not even running one is a mystery to me. And again, the only tone difference your going to get is removing the inline baffles. Anyone tells you any different it's because they have buyers remorse.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I posted this in the other too..

Food for thought....
How well do K&N air filters work? Link
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor

If you plan on running a supercharger be very careful about CAI. CAI will void a Kenne Bell warranty. S/C's like cold air and most replacement boxes just draw in more under hood air that has already come throught the radiator...not good for S/C. Like has been said before, snorkel is a good way to go.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Depends on the person but honestly I got one and i wish I didn't ill be getting rid of it for a snorkel this month
Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepwave
Depends on the person but honestly I got one and i wish I didn't ill be getting rid of it for a snorkel this month
Same here wish I didn't buy one, just recently put my stock back in have the same mpg and HP! feels exactly the same, now selling my k&n
Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When installing a CAI with a 3" tube there is still a bottle neck in the way of the 62mm throttlebody. I believe by upgrading the 62mm (stock JK) to 74mm (V8 GC) you will remedy most of that problem.
A week or so back I replaced the 62 mm TB with a 74mm TB and have gone thru 2 tanks of gas since then. The gas mileage went up 1.5-2 mpg on 2 identical trips and there is a noticeable (probably 7-8 HP) difference in power.
Once I finish my research I am going to upgrade the intake and exhaust....
Years ago I replaced the intake, exhaust and TB on my '98 XJ the performance increase was noticeable and the gas mileage went up almost 3 mpg. Then I went from 32" to 33" GY MTRs w/4.56's and the mileage went down about 1-2 mpg....

Last edited by CharlesS; 01-15-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?