Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intakes - Junk or Good

Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattmc74
Btw if anyone has a stock 3.8l air clearer box let me know!!
EBay all day long.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im watching some
Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You should add a pre cleaner, I have only had to clean my filter once in the last 4 years.
Flipping your jeep over to clean the filter is misleading. Lol
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

I buy CAIs for looks and sound, though I do think my throttle response improved a little after installing the Mopar CAI and Magnaflow exhaust...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineBay4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	665.4 KB
ID:	670582   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineBay2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	704.4 KB
ID:	670583  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRam
I buy CAIs for looks and sound, though I do think my throttle response improved a little after installing the Mopar CAI and Magnaflow exhaust...
Very clean install
Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Very clean install
Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The only way to really measure any sort of gains is on a dyno. Usually a CAI by itself without other airflow modifications will actually lose you some power and torque. Occassionally in conjuction with high flow cats, a cat-back exhaust system and tune, a CAI will actually produce a finite amount of power. It's usually nothing to write home about.

Of course, it will give the engine a more throaty sound which many like I suppose it adds some bling under the hood if that's your thing. I myself grew out of all that stuff long ago and like a quiet Jeep with a sealed airbox. I have a drop-in filter just for the sake of longevity.

IMO - junk (but oh what a money making biz it is!!)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As previous posts have mentioned, typical cold air intakes don't really do much. With fuel injection the computer adjusts air/fuel ratio on the fly, so if, in theory you do get more air in there, the computer just adjusts the fuel to compensate. As someone mentioned, the air is often hotter, which has less energy.

They sound louder better, and that makes us feel better, and noise always increases the seat of the pants speed feel Unless your factory airbox/filter is completely clogged, you really shouldn't see a difference. A tuner is a much better way to get a couple of relatively low buck horsepower from your rig.

The only thing that really is going to help you is an intake that really gets more, cold air to the engine. Colder air is denser and contains more oxygen, giving you a better burn. Back in my ricer days we would do crazy stuff, like pack ice in the intake, and it did equate to better quarter mile times. A JK gets hot under the hood. A good way to cool intake temps is actually get a heat reduction hood. Because of the way the 3.8 fuels itself when intake temps get hot, you can actually improve fuel economy a wee bit by cooling the engine bay.

Snorkel systems pull colder air in the outside and are the only real way to improve performance. Any gains will be negligible, but your engine will run better, especially when you're on a hot trail in the summer, and if you have forced induction your engine will ping less when it gets hot.

Unless you're going all the way with a snorkel system, you really aren't going to improve over the factory airbox, really. Maybe combined with a free flowing exhaust and a tuner it might really get you some sort of bump, but it won't be much. We don't ever bother on our personal rigs.

That's Trail Jeep's $.02 on the topic!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a quick question and hopefully I didn't miss it in the thread but, will a snorkel (let's say AEV) increase intake sound? I'd like to add a snorkel but don't want increased intake noise.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
I have a quick question and hopefully I didn't miss it in the thread but, will a snorkel (let's say AEV) increase intake sound? I'd like to add a snorkel but don't want increased intake noise.
The snorkel is designed to piggy back off of the factory intake, so any increase will be negligible.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes - Junk or Good