Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison and Opinions

Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

To pile on to what resharp001 says about sidewall. A general rule of thumb I've heard before (take it with a grain of salt) on wheel to sidewall is the wheel should be 1/2 (or less) the total diameter combo... so 17" wheel will need a tire that is a minimum of 34" tire... so your 18" rim will need a 36" tire at least. I think the idea is that this provides enough sidewall that you can air down with a good footprint and provides a better ride overall.
The following users liked this post:
CherokeeTrojan (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CherokeeTrojan
I think I'm set on the MC. it was one of my first choices until I looked at others but I came back to it. Can't wait to have it ordered and installed. Finding a good shop to install it is a task it's self. Can't seem to find any shops that have much experience with jeep lift kits. How strange?? haha.
Why not put the kit in yourself? The MC instructions are very thorough and if you have any questions during the process they are a phone call away and ready to help. The only issue I had putting my kit in was I had bought a used D30 that was trussed and gussetted. Putting the MC control arms into the lower axle fitting area was not happening. The MC bushings were just a bit too large to squeeze in there. I had no grinder access, belt sander access that I ended up putting back in the stock lower arms until I could get the bushings machined down to correct size. I did end up taking the Jeep into a local shop for a full alignment check. That was a no brainer in order to get proper alignment, of axle to frame, camber etc.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to lean that way towards installing it myself and saving money to put towards wheels and tires. My dad's friend has a lift and all the tools required to do the job and he's installed lifts on jeeps before. I'll definitely take it to a shop for the alignment afterwards. that's a given. thanks for your input
Old 01-27-2019, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the MC lift with the Rocksports and also added the lower control arms. I'm running 33" Toyo MTs on 18" rims. It's a very nice ride compared to the Terra Flex budget boost that was on it when I bought it. I helped a buddy, who is a mechanic, install and it took us about 6 hours at his shop. If you're not in a big hurry wait till they have a free shipping sale. I'm in Florida and shipping was over $200. Also they make wrenches for the control arm jam nuts that are helpful, and cheap.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

If you're not on the mailing list yet, Metalcloak must have heard you -

The following users liked this post:
CherokeeTrojan (02-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Comparison and Opinions