Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Comparison and Opinions

Old 01-23-2019, 03:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison and Opinions

First time posting on here so I apologize for the "help me guys" thread. I don't know how many threads I've read on multiple forums where the OP is asking for help deciding on lift kits. Sorry to be that guy but that's exactly what I'm doing. I own a 2017 JKU Sport and will finally be able to purchase a lift kit next month. I've narrowed it down to 2 brands which are MetalCloak True Dual Rate 2.5 Lift (not sure which shocks to choose) vs AEV DualSport XT 2.5 with the geometry correction brackets. So instead of constantly searching threads I would like to know what y'alls opinions are on these two kits. I'm almost set on the MC but haven't decided yet. I only plan to run 33's with either 18 or 20" rims. It'll be Daily Driving with the occasional weekend warrior of hitting up the backroads here in the mountains of Western North Carolina to hit up ramp, ginseng and wishy patches with the occasional brook trout fishing. I do not plan to do extreme rock crawling as this is a DD and can't afford to be without my vehicle.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

No harm in starting a thread like this. You can read those threads till the cows come home, but the issue is that each build and intended use is different. What you should take away from reading those however is trends. IE, you should consistently see lifts like Rough Country, Skyjacker, etc. getting panned. You should see quality brands being highlighted over and over, and that should at least give you a direction to look in, which is seems you have, and that you’ve narrowed down a couple options.

I’d say that you can’t go wrong with Metalcloak in general. I’d also say that there are many that love AEV. For what you describe your use to be, I don’t think you can really go wrong with either of those kits as they’d both be adequate. Here are a couple things to think about with each kit –

Metalcloak:
- This kit comes with upper control to help correct caster. Many lifts will use longer lower arms (or adjustable) to do this, but MC likes to use uppers. If you have both lower and upper arms the lower arms position the axle up front while the uppers set the caster.
- This kit comes with nice adjustable bump stops. It’s a nice feature in case the build every changes.
- This kit does NOT include new shocks.
- This kit does NOT include a raised rear track bar bracket which you should add. Raising the rear TB at the axle side will help keep your roll center in the rear closer to factory (the less of an angle the rear TB sits, the better off you are)

AEV:
- This kit DOES come with a raised rear TB bracket and a new rear TB
- This kit DOES come with new shocks
- This kit does NOT come with caster correction, so you should consider some control arm brackets (~$105)
- This kit uses brackets to “extend” the front sway bar links rather than simply replacing with new longer links.
- This kit includes fixed height bump stops

With either kit, you might want to consider adding an adjustable front track bar so you can re-center your front axle. With a 2.5” lift, you’re probably off maybe ¼ to ½” towards the driver’s side. Not the end of the world by any means. You could decide if that bothers you or not. Also, if you have a light jeep, you should probably expect to see more than the stated 2.5” out of the MC springs. You might expect the same out of the AEV as well as replacing springs is never an exact science and will depend on weight/mods each specific vehicle has. You just have to realize this up front.

I really like Metalcloak product, but if you forced me to choose between the two for the use you described, I might lean towards saying the AEV lift might be better for you from a cost aspect since you’re getting new shocks in the process for about the same price.

Best of luck with your build!
The following users liked this post:
jedg (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

The MetalCloak kit I'm referring to does include new shocks either RockSport or Fox ($+400) that's why I said not sure which shocks to choose, but it also includes rear track bar mount kit and an adjustable front track bar. I'm really leaning towards this kit
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...t-edition.html vs this AEV Kit https://www.rubitrux.com/aev-2-5-dua...-lift-kit.html

Last edited by CherokeeTrojan; 01-23-2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: forgot a link
Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Sorry, I obviously was looking at the kit that didn't include those. You don't hear a ton about the RockSport shocks, and you don't see too many with them, but the things I have heard have been good. Supposedly they will retain a factory like feel, which I think would be better than the Bilstein 5100s. If you lean towards the MC kit, sign up for their email list. They don't discount often, but will run "flash sales" of 10% off (sometimes it's free shipping) from time to time (usually around holidays or big events).

I really like the bushings they use in their control arms and front track bar as opposed to joints various others use.
CherokeeTrojan (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

I've yet to read any negative reviews about almost all of their products. Which is what sticks out to me and has me leaning towards purchasing their kit. I'd like to find some more reviews of the RockSport shocks though. But I'll definitely sign up to their email list and hopefully catch a sale before I decide to purchase. If I save $400 from not purchasing the Fox Edition then I may just go ahead and get a new front driveshaft instead of adding an exhaust spacer and having to buy a new driveshaft in the future anyways. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go for MetalCloak, you know you want it...

The Rocksport shocks are supposed to be similar specs to OME long travel shocks (they used to ship these before releasing their own brand). Lots of favorable reviews on both the ome LT's and the rocksports, but fairly mixed reviews on Bilsteins from what I've seen. (I had 5100's, thought they were very stiff. Replaced with ome LT's, much better ride).

As noted above, expect extra height with MC coils, as they are designed around built-up rigs. (I got close to 5" with their 3.5" coils, plenty of room for 37's. With their 2.5", you'll be in good shape if you decide to move to 35's in the future.)
CherokeeTrojan (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought the MC Overland edition kit for 2.5” lift. I haven’t had any regrets running this on my DD. It’s got enough lift to do some more agressive trails here in Colorado. Concerning the Rocksports, I can’t say I really have a well formulated opinion on them. They do their job. You’ll have plenty of room to run 33” tires, that’s what I am running on mine. I think Karl said you can easily fit 35” if I ever chose to go that route. The MC kit also comes with front shock relocations, but you have to have wheels with non-stock backspacing. I am still using my factory wheels with spacers, so the relocation brackets are collecting dust for now. Someday I will buy new wheels, thinking when my AT tires wear out.

One word of advice on tires though that I learned my lesson from is do your research on load rating. I bought E load rated tires, and they are fairly stiff, so I feel a lot of the road bumps.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for comment on the loading aspect. I hate my stock Bridgestone tires. every little bump I hit feels like I ran over a log haha. I'm planning on putting the 33's with 18's on at the same time. Choosing wheels is another long story haha. Thanks for your advice though
Old 01-24-2019, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

I think I'm set on the MC. it was one of my first choices until I looked at others but I came back to it. Can't wait to have it ordered and installed. Finding a good shop to install it is a task it's self. Can't seem to find any shops that have much experience with jeep lift kits. How strange?? haha.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Some reason you're kinda stuck on an 18" wheel vs. 17". I'd say 17" is bit more common, and might have a better selection of tires/prices. I'd rather have a bit more sidewall on the tire than a larger wheel, but subjective I guess.

Install should be pretty straightforward for any reputable shop, even if not jeep-centric. Are there some restraints prohibiting you from installing yourself? Definitely understandable that some might not have the workspace or physical ability to do the job, but if you have any interest, the support is definitely here to walk you through the process should you care. Installs around here for a kit like that run $500-$750 for comparison purposes. Usually if installing a full lift with all 8 control arms it's more like $1K. If you do have somebody install it for you, I really don't think it would be a bad idea to double check all the torque specs. Shops all too often then to fly with the "tight is tight enough" philosophy, and our suspension and steering components really dislike being even a little under torqued. A 1/2" drive torque wrench that can do 50 -250 ft lbs is a handy dandy tool to have on hand. You should double check the torque on suspension components ~500 or so miles after install anyhow.

Quick Reply: Comparison and Opinions