Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compass

Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compass

I have a 2008 rubi, and my compass in the dash is stuck on NE. But the one on my uconnect GPS is working fine. Any ideals? Thanks for your time, and replys.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Do you have anything on the center dash that wasn't there from the factory? (installed or just lying there)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightice08
I have a 2008 rubi, and my compass in the dash is stuck on NE. But the one on my uconnect GPS is working fine. Any ideals? Thanks for your time, and replys.
I have a similar problem with a slight variation. My navigation system works fine on the MyGig, but my dash compass is never accurate (e.g., points east when I am driving north, south when I am driving west..., but no pattern to it at all). Seems if it was an issue with the antenna under the center dash that the MyGig Nav wouldn't be working properly, thus I don't believe that is the cause. This has been going on for at least 2-3 years. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is very nicely explained in your owner's manual how to reset it :-)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
I have a similar problem with a slight variation. My navigation system works fine on the MyGig, but my dash compass is never accurate (e.g., points east when I am driving north, south when I am driving west..., but no pattern to it at all). Seems if it was an issue with the antenna under the center dash that the MyGig Nav wouldn't be working properly, thus I don't believe that is the cause. This has been going on for at least 2-3 years. Anybody have any ideas?
I had a similar issue when I replaced the top over the radio with a Daystar replacement. I Installed the antenna backwards. I drove east compass showded west, drove north compass shows south.

Did you replace the top or opened the top?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Enzo
I had a similar issue when I replaced the top over the radio with a Daystar replacement. I Installed the antenna backwards. I drove east compass showded west, drove north compass shows south. Did you replace the top or opened the top?
I did replace the OEM one with a Daystar one, but that was many years ago. Pretty sure this began well after that, but I will double check. If that was the case, wouldn't the MYGig Nav also be off, or does that use an internal antenna/compass unrelated to the one on top of the radio?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eumel789
It is very nicely explained in your owner's manual how to reset it :-)
This. Recalibrate it per the owners manual.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had both the compass on my navigation unit and the one on the dash go crazy. Ended up being my smart phone. I had a phone holder that sat on top of the dash above the radio. Turned off my phone while driving one day and both compasses within a minute or two were fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Enzo
I had a similar issue when I replaced the top over the radio with a Daystar replacement. I Installed the antenna backwards. I drove east compass showded west, drove north compass shows south.

Did you replace the top or opened the top?
Enzo was right, my antenna was installed backwards. Seems to be working properly now. I guess I never thought of that as the MyGig Nav has always worked fine. I'm guessing the MyGig Nav uses its own internal "antenna/GPS" and not the same one the dash compass uses. Thanks Enzo!

Quick Reply: Compass