Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Skid System

Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Skid System

I know there are 100 opinions about this, but I'm trying to do all the research possible before purchasing a set. I'm planning to do the Rubicon trail later this year and want some extra protection. I wheel a fair amount on the rocks here in California (no mud) and my factory skids have taking some hits (mostly heavy scratching).

I've heard really good things about Clayton engine & t-case skid with their HD cross member. I've also heard good things about Synergy, JCR, RockHard, River Raider, EVO, etc..

What do you think is the best setup for a full skid system? Would you do the gas tank skid? Would you mix and match brands?

I'm currently running a 2.5" lift on 33's with the JCR evap skid, JCR front skid and bumper, EVO LCA skids (front & rear), diff covers (front & rear), and ACE sliders. Please educate me... I'd like to make this purchase once and not have any regrets.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been looking at the evo protec system myself. Look forward to peoples responses
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

The thing that turns me off about the Evo setup is the oil pan skids bolts directly to the engine. It would seem that if you took a hit, that could cause damage. I like how the Clayton skid mounts off the engine mounts so it would seem that wouldn't cause any issue if you took a hit. I also don't like that Evo doesn't come with the gas tank skid. I'm sure this could be added, but I'm thinking I may want that extra protection as mine has got some good scrapes already and I'd like to protect it before it gets dented.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

yeah my gas tank skid looks like the beaches of normandy but im going to use it until it falls off. my primary concern is the oil pan. it would be cool if someone can fab up a driveshaft skid
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AEV has a skid for the rear drive shaft. I'm going to be changing to a skid system that has all three available. Should work together better. Probable will go with an aluminum one for the weight savings. Yes I know about the reduced strength but for my wheeling it is strong enough.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have M.O.R.E. skid plates on my 2011 jkur and am happy with them.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by socal_hemihead
The thing that turns me off about the Evo setup is the oil pan skids bolts directly to the engine. It would seem that if you took a hit, that could cause damage.
There are a few companies that have a similar design and I am also not a fan. I been looking for skid plates that will give a flat belly.
Another thing I don't like is that most companies make their skid to work with long arm suspensions so they cover less are

I did find Kilby enterprise. ::Kilby Enterprises:: looks like they cover more then some of others I have found.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

All my research keeps pointing me back to River Raider Off Road for the best coverage. The early design had a weak t-case skid, but that seems to be fixed now.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Just a few other thoughts...

Large skid systems decrease the amount of heat that can escape from under the rig.

Also if you wheel in a muddy environment it will get on top of the skids and is near impossible to clean without removing them. Same for winter salt.

With large skid systems even general maintenance can be more difficult and visual inspections are made more difficult.

In my opinion bigger isn't necessarily better when it comes to skids.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by socal_hemihead
I know there are 100 opinions about this, but I'm trying to do all the research possible before purchasing a set. I'm planning to do the Rubicon trail later this year and want some extra protection. I wheel a fair amount on the rocks here in California (no mud) and my factory skids have taking some hits (mostly heavy scratching).

I've heard really good things about Clayton engine & t-case skid with their HD cross member. I've also heard good things about Synergy, JCR, RockHard, River Raider, EVO, etc..

What do you think is the best setup for a full skid system? Would you do the gas tank skid? Would you mix and match brands?

I'm currently running a 2.5" lift on 33's with the JCR evap skid, JCR front skid and bumper, EVO LCA skids (front & rear), diff covers (front & rear), and ACE sliders. Please educate me... I'd like to make this purchase once and not have any regrets.
With what you have you'll be ok.With just 33's you're gonna drag a lot anyways.

Quick Reply: Complete Skid System