Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Converting from stick to auto?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

their are a few guys that have done it.. the big cost is the labor... will take a couple solid days of work... parts should be under 2k , also need to take the jeep to the dealer for programming. but it can be done. ive talked to a few that have done it for different reasons and are happy... im sure you could find someone that wants a manual and trade most of the parts. their are a few threads on the forum about it.. look up adrenaline off road in maryland they have done the swap.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x infinity on just learning to drive stick. If you ever want to travel out of North America, you will need to learn how to drive a manual transmission. It's not hard. All my kids are forced to do it and they have pride in the fact that they can drive stick and their friends can't borrow their cars.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
A friend has found a 2011 JKU for sale that's highly modified he would like to buy, but the only thing holding him back is that it's a stick, not auto. Does anyone know if it can be converted, and what the cost to do this would be?
Thanks
He either needs to learn to drive a stick, or look at a different Jeep. Converting it over would be more trouble than it is worth.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies......but he knows how to drive a stick. All I wanted to know is what the cost would be to convert to auto because the jeep he has his eyes on is one of the best builds we've seen......other than not having auto. In AZ we do mostly slow rock crawling on steep ledges, so an auto gives better control and let's the driver focus more on picking the right lines.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seriously looked into this and it is not worth the cost

My wife can't drive stick and trust me we have tried.. We will try again this summer and even going to have her try on a friend car in case it is the Jeep she can't figure out.

But she wants the 6 speed gone.. So I really looked at what it would take and the bottom line is that it would just be cheaper to buy an auto and trade in my 6 speed.

The only good news for me is that it might mean I get an 2012 or maybe even a 2014 with the new engine.

Side note: a big reason not to get an auto is also the cost of regearing. A 6-speed can handle 35s an auto you'll need to regear for sure.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepingNet
I have seriously looked into this and it is not worth the cost

My wife can't drive stick and trust me we have tried.. We will try again this summer and even going to have her try on a friend car in case it is the Jeep she can't figure out.

But she wants the 6 speed gone.. So I really looked at what it would take and the bottom line is that it would just be cheaper to buy an auto and trade in my 6 speed.

The only good news for me is that it might mean I get an 2012 or maybe even a 2014 with the new engine.

Side note: a big reason not to get an auto is also the cost of regearing. A 6-speed can handle 35s an auto you'll need to regear for sure.
Thanks for the reply. I have Dana 44's with 37" tires and re geared to 4.88, but wish I had done 5.13. My friend has a 2012 Rubicon with stock gears and 37" tires and has no problem passing me on the highway. Guess the new engine makes a big difference.

Quick Reply: Converting from stick to auto?