Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noises in suspension when flexed, ideas?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noises in suspension when flexed, ideas?

I installed a 3.5" rough country lift with 35's but I have this creaking and slight popping noise when I hit the trails. Any ideas on what the problem is? I had one guy tell me that I had the bushings in the shocks a tad bit tight and thats what was popping under pressure,but I torqued them to specifications. Any other ideas to check? Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not many Jeeps don't creak when flexing..

If it REALLY bugs you, check with Clyde at Spyder Offroad on West Street off Goodman Road.. Head west from 55, cross the tracks, turn left don't let the shop scare you.. He knows his stuff.. I think our club RTI Ramp is at his shop right now, so you should be able to do a slow easy climb and pinpoint where the sounds are coming from and figure out how to attack them..
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let it go. You will never NOT hear something when flexing/wheeling. Coil springs in seats, suspension components touching, shock mounts, sway bar links, the list goes on and on. Part of the experience.

Last edited by fredrok; 07-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Could be front axle u joints as well. 31k on my 2012 JKU and mine were shot.

USA made units from a local Napa store,$40 and lunch for my buddy the mechanic and problem solved.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

YEa if it's a bad popping/pinging sound it could be a ujoint. if they are fine I woudn't worry
Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

I know there is always popping and creeping in a jeep but it shouldn't pop and creek this loud with any age jeep, got a 09' JKU with 35k on it. Couldn't be a u-joint prob bc It didn't make any noise until the lift got installed. Thank you guys. And I use Genesis off road, Shane has treated me right so far so I'm going to be loyal.
P.S. Shane was Clyde's partner in crime at spyder off road so I trust he knows his stuff.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddnuts1289
I know there is always popping and creeping in a jeep but it shouldn't pop and creek this loud with any age jeep, got a 09' JKU with 35k on it. Couldn't be a u-joint prob bc It didn't make any noise until the lift got installed. Thank you guys. And I use Genesis off road, Shane has treated me right so far so I'm going to be loyal.
P.S. Shane was Clyde's partner in crime at spyder off road so I trust he knows his stuff.
Spread the knowledge and let us know what you find!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Cool

I have a 3" Teraflex spring lift with MetalCloak control arms, I found since I articulate so much more the front springs end up at a slight side angle and they contact part of the frame/shock tower all depending as they are compressed or drooped. No harm no foul but at least I know what the noise is. Look closely at the frame near the springs and you may see rub marks which may help explain the noise. Also if you don't have lower front shock mounts like Nemisis (I run them) then at least your passenger side shock body may be hitting the frame on full passenger side droop and wha la... more strange noise

from the peanut gallery

Last edited by 69mach1; 07-25-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A used up heim joints can make some noise. I tracked mine down and it was on the sway bar link. Junked it and replaced it for under $5.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Shane knew how to sell the impossible, Clyde knew how to build it.. I'm not to sure how much rubbed off on either one before they parted ways..

Quick Reply: Creaking noises in suspension when flexed, ideas?