Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Curious about rockrails... and clearance

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about rockrails... and clearance

I got a 2.5'' TF coil with shocks kit...
I am going to be running 35x12.5 when they arrive...

I know that the Stock Rubi Rails are longer then they need to be really.... or at least they seem longer then the actual middle of the body of the truck.... they do hang into the wheel well a little already

with 35's Its going to look like they can almost touch....
Alot of people said with 35's they wont rub but with 37's they will rub...

I dont want to cut the stock rails mostly because I dont have the tools or the knowhow to start messing with it...

Are there other aftermarket rails that are as good but a bit smaller so they dont look like they are going to mash the tire ??
Also something that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg....

Is there another way to push the tire back a little ? rear control arms or something like that ?? so that I dont have to be nervous about my brand new tires getting chewed up on my rails ??

Thanks... also any sugestions would be most welcome with some pictures to show why they are a good choice... like show that its much shorter then the stock ones or that its angled so it wont be in the way ect ect....

I like the idea of having a step there to use but I feel like most of the time the step space is soooo tiny you could never really get your foot on it... haha maybe I am wrong..
Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35s and rubi rails play just fine together with a 2.5 TF coil kit. If you want a step you can get the rubi rail tube add ons... can't reember right off who makes em... wood I think

Ya here it is: http://www.jeepswag.com/RubiTubes/index.html

Last edited by greenamphibious; 06-23-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Why not cut yours..... it wont cost you anything but a little paint to touch up the bare metal.

Remove stock rock rails.... remove the plastic end caps.... get access to a chop saw... cut off 2 inches... add a little paint where the bare metal is exposed... replace end caps.... reinstall rock rails and you're done. Very easy mod Should take but an hour from start to finish

Nice thing is, this is one of those mods that isnt noticeable after it's done because you reuse the same end cap
Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
Why not cut yours..... it wont cost you anything but a little paint to touch up the bare metal.

Remove stock rock rails.... remove the plastic end caps.... get access to a chop saw... cut off 2 inches... add a little paint where the bare metal is exposed... replace end caps.... reinstall rock rails and you're done. Very easy mod Should take but an hour from start to finish

Nice thing is, this is one of those mods that isnt noticeable after it's done because you reuse the same end cap
see that makes me feel better... I didnt realize the end cap was replaceable... this might have to get done then... hahhahaa

Screw a step... If the girl cant jump in to the passanger side then she's got to lose some Lb's!!! and the dog can make it and so can I so were good to go hahaha
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by joey2times
see that makes me feel better... I didnt realize the end cap was replaceable... this might have to get done then... hahhahaa

Screw a step... If the girl cant jump in to the passanger side then she's got to lose some Lb's!!! and the dog can make it and so can I so were good to go hahaha
Yep, it only a plastic tree (dont know the actual name) on the bottom of your rail. Simply pull it out and the end cap slides out. Forgot to mention you will need to drill a hole once you cut the rail back to accomodate the plastic tree. Or you can simply glue the end cap in.

You might want to consider what the guys above are saying about not having to do it. I've seen a few guys running the same setup you have. My thoughts were it was too close for comfort not cutting the rock rails and trimming the pinch seam. However, my understanding is they are still running the same setup as we speak w/o issue.

Last edited by UGOTKERN; 06-23-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaloCS
There is no need to cut the rails with 35" tires. Once the tires start to move upwards the geometry of the suspension actually pushes them away from the rail.

I have heard of 37" tires rubbing but if you don't plan on running a tire that large then don't worry about it.

I had the TF 2.5BB and my rear tires would rub slightly, not enough to stop the tire from spinning, but enough that i could hear the lugs on the rockrails. I have 35z12.5x15 BFG KM2s. I cut the rock rails with a 4.5" grinder with a cutting wheels, it's pretty damn quick & easy.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

He is going to run the coil lift though... it sits higher than the BB
Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just cut 2" off my rails with a band saw this weekend. Also took a sidegrinder and zip wheel and cut off the angle of the lower body panel, smoothed everything up and sprayed some Rustoleum liner on it to cover up the bare metal. It looks like it came from the factory that way... or atleast should have!!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know on the BBs but I have a 4" lift with 35s and if you disconnect the sway bar or have a heavy load in the back of the Jeep while off road they will rub. They are fine driving around town but once you start articulating the rear axle it will rub even with a 4" lift. I cut mine and put the plastic cap back on. You need something heavy duty to cut it. It is very thick.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

I think the most honest response to this question is...

There are circumstances where a 35" tire can rub and there are circumstances where a 35" tire won't rub. Due to a myriad of factors (lift height, suspension geometry, actual tire height, actual tire width, wheel backspacing) involved the question of will your tires rub the rock rails cannot definitively be answered. The only accurate way to gauge if your tires will rub is to stuff a tire and see. If they rub then you will need to trim the rails, if they don't rub then nothing needs to be done. It's pretty simple.

What we all should refrain from doing is automatically assume that every 35" tire will or won't rub. My first post made this assumption so I'm as guilty as anyone here.

Wheel your JK and trim the rails if they rub. Simple.

Quick Reply: Curious about rockrails... and clearance