Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cutting Off the ends of the front Bumper

Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
This is the photochop I am talking about. Look at the space on the side of the bumper where the cut was made, then look at your own or a good picture of an uncut one. It is possible that they covered the open ends with something, but it still looks like a chop.

Doesn't matter, I'm still gonna do it.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a PJ stubby. Anyone want my old one to try it?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 AM
JK Super Freak

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but does the PJ stubby cover the swaybar disconnect? Would you still need a skid plate down in front? Did you remove your air dam?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Well I cut them off

Here it the real deal, No photosh_t here. As you can see my bumper already was toast so i figured what the heck. The sawsall worked great cuts like butter. Followed the metal fram on the inside as a guide. If you want it shorter you will have to cut metal.

Last edited by HighCountryJK; 01-26-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

It dont look too bad.. i bet the saw would cut the metal also. Im a fitter welder so im pretty sure it would.. if not with that blade you could buy a metal brade for it.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks for the pictures, I have always liked the stubby look

I chopped my stock YJ bumper almost 10 years ago, wow I've been around Jeeps too long

I want to chop my JK, but until I get lift and tires, I think it would look a little silly.

BTW, your Jeep has cute dimples!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Is this a temp fix until you get a new stubby bumper? I might be alone here, but I don't like it. I think both jk's look bitchin, but I don't like the look of cutting the oem plastic bumpers. Both jeeps would look 10xs better with a PJ Stubby or something else. Am I alone on this?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CLACKEY573
Is this a temp fix until you get a new stubby bumper? I might be alone here, but I don't like it. I think both jk's look bitchin, but I don't like the look of cutting the oem plastic bumpers. Both jeeps would look 10xs better with a PJ Stubby or something else. Am I alone on this?
The chainsaw worked great, a hot butter knife probably would have been enough, but what the heck, its only a new Rubicon.

Very temporary though, i just wanted to see. The bumper is getting replaced, i think with a Tera flex front and a Jeeperman rear. I have a few ideas on rock rails that will deflect the crap off the sides of the jeep too.

But it really doesnt look to bad in person up close, But for those thinking. Probably not my 1st chioce, but it lets you know what a stubby will feel like. I like the look of the exposed tire.

Wouldnt have cut it if it dint know it was getting replaced soon.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CLACKEY573
For me it is definitely a temp thing. I don't like the full width, and I really don't like the mud trap action. I will cut it this weekend if I can. I want to see the new SRC, and I just found out that Shrockworks will have a picture of their new stubby soon, so I want to see that, too.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
JK Junkie

Whew! I thought i stuck my neck out there for a minute. In that case I'd love to see some pics with the new bumpers. I just got rear ended a few weeks ago. Both front and rear bumpers need to be replaced. I ordered PJ's for both front and rear. I don't have a lift yet so I'm not sure if I will put them on until I get the lift.

Quick Reply: Cutting Off the ends of the front Bumper