Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cutting Off the ends of the front Bumper

Old 01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Off the ends of the front Bumper

I am interested in cutting off the ends of the front bumper to give it a stubby look until I can get a new bumper (come on SRC!!). Becuase of the tow hooks there is a metal plate behind the bumper that extends outward past the frame rails. Can this be cut off too? Anyone done this? There was a picture of a black Unlimited on Swampers that looked to have done this, but I'm pretty sure the bumper had been photoshopped a little.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

I am with you on this one, I actually got my sawsall out but chickened out. I had only had it 2 weeks and i just couldnt do it, it still had paper tags!@#$%

What to do....... i will be following your thread
thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here was the thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706&highlight=dremel

Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
I am interested in cutting off the ends of the front bumper to give it a stubby look until I can get a new bumper (come on SRC!!). Becuase of the tow hooks there is a metal plate behind the bumper that extends outward past the frame rails. Can this be cut off too? Anyone done this? There was a picture of a black Unlimited on Swampers that looked to have done this, but I'm pretty sure the bumper had been photoshopped a little.
I would go right ahead and cut away. I can't see the OEM bumper selling for much so you might as well. That cut bumper in the pic looks pretty good. I'm in the process of designing a push bar/grill guard that will go with the foctory bumper and with it chopped it would look pretty tough.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Anybody see if the back is cut as well ?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I say chop the bumper and if you have a X or Rubicon cut the flares like the Orange Skunkwerks 2 door form SEMA too.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Cut it!!

I have a replacement for you if it looks that bad. ::
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

I dont have the tow hooks on mine, does that mean its just plastic? Think a hacksaw would do the trick? I love that stubby look even on the stock bumper.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

The only thing from holding me back is the knowledge that the injection molded end will be hollow. So does anyone have a good idea for an end cap? It would need to be made out of a plastic with some give to it, so that it could be stretched over the end like a wool cap on your head. It may also have to be prefitted just for the bumper end. Who makes these kinds of things? The end cap could also be made in the exact same color.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

I am looking to do this mod as well. I have access to a water jet cutter and I was planning on making some filler plates.

Quick Reply: Cutting Off the ends of the front Bumper