Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D30 Axle Problems

Old 10-20-2016, 02:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D30 Axle Problems

So I finished up my Hemi swap, and was getting everything buttoned up when I went ahead and tried my locker switches just to make sure everything was plugged back in correctly. The compressor didn't shut off and I heard a air blowing sound coming from the front end. I assumed I may have bumped the air line going to the top of the differential at some point during the swap and the seal was jacked up.

Wrong.

Two things here.

1st - The metal line inside is broken.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161020_042420.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	659251

2nd - There is something moving around in there that looks like a washer (sorry so ignorant on the subject) and I'm not sure it's supposed to be moving.
Video: https://goo.gl/photos/dSRwvYJCKbiSTb1T6

Is the metal line something I can do? I've never messed with gears before. I had someone put them in for me.

Is the washer thing supposed to be loose like this?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, a whole bunch of not good there... the "washer" is a carrier bearing shim, and is not supposed to be loose. as I do believe the other side of the locker is where the copper air line goes in.

But its been awhile since I installed an Air Locker, so I could be wrong.

Last edited by Morghill; 10-20-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Morghill
So, a whole bunch of not good there... the "washer" is a carrier bearing shim, and is not supposed to be loose.
Out. Standing.

Now what.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Morghill
So, a whole bunch of not good there... the "washer" is a carrier bearing shim, and is not supposed to be loose.
I figured that was a shim, but I wasn't sure.

I'm guessing this means, new set up?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by feroxjb
I figured that was a shim, but I wasn't sure.

I'm guessing this means, new set up?
I would think that would be the easiest and quickest "FIX" to the current issue....

Although, if its just the air supply collar, you could just passably replace that unit, as it will come with a new copper line also.

Last edited by Morghill; 10-20-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's not a shim, it's the air collar. It should rotate somewhat freely and is held in place by the air line. You need a new air collar. My 60 air collars were like $80 on poly if I remember correctly. Poly performance has the parts.

The copper line is brazed into the steel air ring, unless you are good at brazing I would just replace it. It's going to have to come out anyway. It looks more like the copper line pulled out of the air ring.

You shouldnt have to worry about messing with backlash and such as long as you use the same shims on either side of the carrier.

EDIT- I am assuming it is an ARB, you didnt say.

Last edited by TweakJK; 10-21-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude you just installed a Hemi don't mess with the locker and Dana 30. You need a Dana 60 anyway, lol
Old 10-22-2016, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Dude you just installed a Hemi don't mess with the locker and Dana 30. You need a Dana 60 anyway, lol
Haha! That's a good point, but I already was invested in the Dana 30 before the Hemi. I really don't want to have to buy a new axle yet until this one is kaput completely.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TweakJK
That's not a shim, it's the air collar. It should rotate somewhat freely and is held in place by the air line. You need a new air collar. My 60 air collars were like $80 on poly if I remember correctly. Poly performance has the parts.

The copper line is brazed into the steel air ring, unless you are good at brazing I would just replace it. It's going to have to come out anyway. It looks more like the copper line pulled out of the air ring.

You shouldnt have to worry about messing with backlash and such as long as you use the same shims on either side of the carrier.

EDIT- I am assuming it is an ARB, you didnt say.
To be honest with you, I just don't know where to start on it. Does the whole carrier/locker have to come out? I don't mind replacing the air collar completely (rather do that then try and fix the line anyway).

Edited: Yes, it's an ARB (Sorry about that)

Last edited by feroxjb; 10-22-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by feroxjb
Haha! That's a good point, but I already was invested in the Dana 30 before the Hemi. I really don't want to have to buy a new axle yet until this one is kaput completely.
If you actually drive it and wheel that shouldn't take long.. and since you aren't very savvy with axles you better have someone with you that is lol

Quick Reply: D30 Axle Problems