Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D30 Axle Problems

Old 10-23-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by feroxjb
To be honest with you, I just don't know where to start on it. Does the whole carrier/locker have to come out? I don't mind replacing the air collar completely (rather do that then try and fix the line anyway).

Edited: Yes, it's an ARB (Sorry about that)
Time to learn how to mess with diffs!

You are going to have to pull the front axle shafts, pull the carrier bearing cap bolts, remove the carrier while paying attention to the shim stacks on each side of the carrier. It must go back together the same way. Torque the carrier bearing cap bolts to spec.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TweakJK

You are going to have to pull the front axle shafts, pull the carrier bearing cap bolts, remove the carrier while paying attention to the shim stacks on each side of the carrier. It must go back together the same way. Torque the carrier bearing cap bolts to spec.
It's that simple? I was thinking it was going be a lot worse. Maybe some chanting and incense required? If it's that easy, then I'll at least try it.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found it.

Guess we will see.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/d...01-rd102-rd104

If it holds me over for a while, before I have to replace the axle... It would make me feel a lot better, since I just dropped a load of cash on the Hemi install.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TweakJK

And make sure you mark your caps and bolts to go back exactly as they came out.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I got the air collar in today, and figured I'd try and have a go at it.

The carrier (assuming this is the locker/ring assembly word). Pretty easy to come out.. in fact I'm wonder if it was too easy. When I took the bearing caps off, I barely pulled on the locker and it pretty much was ready to fall out. Not sure if that's okay or normal or what.

It looks like some RTV or possible a rubber seal was chewed up as well. Kinda hard to tell by looking at the parts diagram for the D30 what they are or if I need to replace them. Any insight would be helpful!!

Also that little sliding piece of metal thing in my first post wasn't actually the air collar, it is beside the air collar. It appears to be a shim. Not sure if that's supposed to be sloppy like that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161027_233652.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	659810Click image for larger version

Name:	20161027_233706.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	659811Click image for larger version

Name:	20161027_233820.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	659812Click image for larger version

Name:	20161027_233921.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	659813

More Photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/NX53U1GXFFGKWwif9

Additional Video:
https://goo.gl/photos/VggMUHWi8VHsYtw58

Last edited by feroxjb; 10-28-2016 at 05:17 AM. Reason: For accuracy (again)

Quick Reply: D30 Axle Problems