Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D30 regear questions

Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D30 regear questions

So I'm totally confused..... it seems that there is no solid info one way or the other out there. What I'm trying to find out is if I can use XJ High Pinion D30 4.11 gears with the appropriate XJ carrier in a JK D30. Vendors sell the gears as different ones but noone can tell me what the specific dimensions are..... So, has anyone done this? (used XJ gears in JK D30?) Did it work? Did it fail????
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kejtar
So I'm totally confused..... it seems that there is no solid info one way or the other out there. What I'm trying to find out is if I can use XJ High Pinion D30 4.11 gears with the appropriate XJ carrier in a JK D30. Vendors sell the gears as different ones but noone can tell me what the specific dimensions are..... So, has anyone done this? (used XJ gears in JK D30?) Did it work? Did it fail????
Might be a diff in bearings and thickness of JK gears ? Not sure though..oh my bad you want to use the carrier to....

Last edited by Rebar-7; 06-11-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Might be a diff in bearings and thickness of JK gears ? Not sure though..oh my bad you want to use the carrier to....
After some research it seems that it might be the pinion thickness that's different. Why couldn't they leave well enough alone???

Bottom line is that the carrier will work, carrier bearings are fine BUT the pinion is different.... (or so I'm told)....
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kejtar
After some research it seems that it might be the pinion thickness that's different. Why couldn't they leave well enough alone???

Bottom line is that the carrier will work, carrier bearings are fine BUT the pinion is different.... (or so I'm told)....
They made the JK gears thicker (much stronger) than they were before in standard d30 and d44s. They sell kits to install JK gears into older TJ d44s for this reason.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bit the bullet and ordered Yukon D30 4.11's.... I laid them right next to the XJ D30 4.11's and wow... the pinion is WAY beefier!!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 44 did but not the 30. I took left over gears fron my yj and installed them in my jk with no issues what so ever. Both the ring gear and pinion bolted right up.

Quick Reply: D30 regear questions