Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dashboard is Freaking Out*

Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard is Freaking Out*

I don't know if this is the right section. But all my electrical is "freaking out". When i drive the car the AC, ABS light, Traction Control, Door locks, Emergency Break Light, Speakers die and MPH gauge goes to 0. This goes on and off erratically through out my drive. Any Idea what is causing this?

I must add i pressure cleaned my car and under carriage and it started doing this after. I checked all fuses and none are blown.

It is a 2012 Unlimited.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your TIPM, call the dealer, yes those guys, and tell them what is going on. It happens, but its an easy fix, expect to pay 500+ to get it fixed though... the part isn't cheap, but at least it's a quick job.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Shearlow
It's your TIPM, call the dealer, yes those guys, and tell them what is going on. It happens, but its an easy fix, expect to pay 500+ to get it fixed though... the part isn't cheap, but at least it's a quick job.
Actually the part is half that price at most and takes about 15 to pull the old one out, put the new one in and do the key dance to program it. I'd try and order one offline somewhere and do it yourself cause dealers are completely ripping you off by putting these in and charging you hours of labor for 15 mins of work.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used to have this happen from time to time. Put a new diehard platinum battery in and haven't had a problem since
Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose connection to the alternator can cause this problem if I'm not mistaken. There was a service bulletin sent out for other vehicles with the 3.6L because of this exact issue.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by evoviii2jk
I used to have this happen from time to time. Put a new diehard platinum battery in and haven't had a problem since
I've seen this, too ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Have your battery checked. FYI: I checked on TIPMs for my '07 and they were on national backorder three weeks ago. Mine didn't have the problems you describe exactly, but I pulled it, disconnected all of the electrical connections and cleaned them (none looked dirty) with brake cleaner, pushed in all the fuses and relays, put it all back together and went on a couple thousand mile trip without further problems. This is the second time it's acted up in a couple years, and the second time this "repair" seemed to work.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-12-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was having the same problems. Changed the battery, and no recurrences since. And I have put on an additional 10,000 miles since the battery change.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

My 2012 JKUR was doing a similar thing. However it also would not start. I would turn the key and the lights on the dash would randomly flash on and off. mph and tach would jump around.
Mine would not start though. I charged my battery even though it had never been sluggish starting. I could not get it to take a charge at all.

Got a new battery and it worked great. No issues since.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Same here on my 2012. I replaced the battery and all has been good.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

I was about ready to call a priest because my 2012 looked possessed! A new battery exorcised the electrical demons. It is a shame we can't get more than 3 years out of a battery.

Quick Reply: Dashboard is Freaking Out*