Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

death wobbel with tire switch?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobbel with tire switch?

I know, another dw question. Last month I changed back to my stock jk tires from my 35s in preparation for winter. My set up is 2.5 coil lift from tera flex. I only had on the stock tires with that lift for about a week or so before 35s were plaved. No adjustable track bar and by the way my passenger tire is bout an inch further out from the driver side. After 5 days I hit a bump and went right into dw. Once I got home I loosened the track bar bolts and ca bolts shook the jeep, replaced the track bar bolts with the larger ones and re torque my wheel spacers and tires. Seemed okay until 2 days ago when I hit a bump and went into death wobble and had to pull on to the shoulder of the highway to stop it and then it happen again until I was able to get on side roads and keep it under forty. It's sitting in the garage until I put an adjustable trckbar on it. My question for you experts is, would the castor from changing the tire size cause these problems? It never had an alignment after the lift. I've read a lot about death wobble the past month on all the forums. If the tire was really out of balance wouldn't that really cause it? Also I have not had the chance to look under the jeep since this frequent dw took place. Thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to take off stocks and put the 35s. Back on thinking this will be the fix? [temporary]
Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not the tires.

Do not drive your jeep until you perform a thorough inspection to identify and fix the source(s).

Every time DW occurs, you risk damaging more components.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Do you think the adjustable track bar will be the fix? There is only 30000 miles on it. Would your think the ball joints were bad? Also, if I take off the ca to check the bushings and bolt holes, is it difficult to place them back in?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

[QUOTE=rt chips;3771983 Also, if I take off the ca to check the bushings and bolt holes, is it difficult to place them back in?[/QUOTE]

I jacked the frame a little to put some of the weight on jack stands to make sure nothing would move.
Remove and reinstall one bolt at a time. Get the bigger bolts for the whole works if you haven't already.
Don't torque the nuts/bolts until all the weight is on the tires.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Not quite sure if I understand you. So you jacked up the jeep and placed jack stands under the axle while you changed out the bolts. Tires still on the ground?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

I think hes saying stands under frame. Prob to keep rolling to a minimum.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, gotcha.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rt chips
Not quite sure if I understand you. So you jacked up the jeep and placed jack stands under the axle while you changed out the bolts. Tires still on the ground?
Jacked up the frame a little, then let the frame down onto jack stands. Tires are still on the ground.
It adds stability to minimize misalignment of the holes when each bolt removed.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Just an FYI- there is no change in caster when you switch tire sizes. The suspension geometry remains the same regardless of tire size.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: death wobbel with tire switch?