Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this death wobble?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this death wobble?

Driving on the highway last Sunday and in 4th gear my '10 JK unlimited starting rattling all over like I was in an earthquake. The day before I changed my oil and put on a teraflex steering stabilizer. Pulled over, gave it a minute and drove on. All was fine until Friday night when the same thing happened. Taking it in to dealer on Monday but just wanted to ask the community if y'all experienced something like this....not lifted with stock tires. is it the stabilizer, transmission? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hmmmmm...

Fortunately, I haven't had any experience with Death Wobble, but there are plenty of people here that can chime in. I do know that if you
don't have the steering stabilizer adjusted correctly (to center your steering wheel) then the auto braking system will kick in b/c it thinks
you are sliding. Good Luck.

Jeremy
Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you feel it in the steering wheel or the peddels? Where you able to drive through it or did you have to come to a stop? If it was in the steering wheel and you had to slow down it was most likely DW. This can happen to a stock Jeep and has been documented on plenty of them. Have you checked your Trackbar?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

I have had "Death Wobble" and what you described sure sounds like you have it. It is usually brought on by hitting a bump in the road at speeds above 50mph but not limited to that. Do you remember hitting a bump before both occurances?

Many people on this board will tell you that you do not need a steerign stabilizer if you have everything with you suspension dialed in. So the fact that you changed out the steerig stabilizer the day before would not have caused the death wobble but allowed to to show its ugly head. I would suggested something else is out of wack.

I would also consider buying the Grade 8 bolt kits sold by Northridge and replace your Trackbar and Lower control arm bolts. Be sure to check the bolts holes and make sure they have not become oval shaped.

My death wobble issue was because of the bolt and the trackbar mouting location was oval shaped. Once it was repaired and bolts replaced I have been good for over a year.

Last edited by Absolute; 08-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all for the fast responses!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Update: took it in and got alignment done. Shaking stopped and the drive is good. Ordered replacement ball joints for the front with *******s, everyone says stock balls are weak. Dealer also recommended new shocks, so I'm taking suggestions. Not lifted yet by the way but want a 2.5.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you installed the teraflex stabilizer did you just replace the shock or did you also install the flip kit? Most flip kits require to you run the bracket through the axle side track bar bolt. If you messed with that bolt you might need to make sure its torqued down correctly... I think it supposed to be 120lbs but I am not 100% sure.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

FYSA:
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
If you follow this link, you will be able to do your own front end alignment without having to pay someone for it.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Changed out front ball joints to ******* Solutions greaseable and finished alignment. Bought the 3 year alignment package at Big O tires. No more road shimmy but ride is rough and I feel a real lack of power on the highway. Thinking I might have to suck it up and take into the stealership!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hypeiv
When you installed the teraflex stabilizer did you just replace the shock or did you also install the flip kit? Most flip kits require to you run the bracket through the axle side track bar bolt. If you messed with that bolt you might need to make sure its torqued down correctly... I think it supposed to be 120lbs but I am not 100% sure.
I just swapped out stock for Teraflex. Maybe the TF isn't a great product as far as steering stabilizers go....it wasn't expensive by any means

Quick Reply: Is this death wobble?