Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

death wobble

Old 03-23-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobble

Will loose shocks cause this?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe? Or were the shocks loose bc something else is causing the wobble shook the but loose? How bad was the wobble? Did it just start?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Pretty bad every time I hit a bump feels like it's gonna come apart, got new tires and re balanced not long ago. I was tightening all bolts to spec and found the top of the shocks loose.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch the plan man videos about death wobble on YouTube. What year jk is it? Have you changed the LCA bolts yet?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

It's actually my 04 unlimited my Jk is solid, lol. And It just started out of no where.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Saw some Dingus in a white wrangler driving down 95 here in ct with death wobble. Was going like 45 in the slow lane wheels were going bananas. Was going to get a video.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get under the jeep and have someone turn the wheel back and forth to see if the trackbar or if any other suspension component may be loose, you can also just try shaking the trackbar back and forth really hard and see if theres any play. The trackbar and tie rod ends tend to be a common cause of it, loose shocks won't cause "Death wobble"

This is what death wobble looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRbS_Zz5pHE Are you experiencing that? or just some shimmy/shaking in the front?

Read this here too:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

Last edited by Croce; 03-23-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 AM
JK Newbie

Before my new tires and re balance the old tires were really bad out of balance, my local 4x4 shop said everything looked good when we did the dry turn test so we got new tires and had them balanced, went away for a little while then came back. And it's definitely death wobble. The bushings in the track bar look cracked gonna start there and take for a front end alignment.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 AM
JK Newbie

I had serious death wobble and found a loose bolt at the bottom of one of my rear shocks. Tightened it thinking I cured it but it made no difference.

Realigned the jeep, balanced tires etc., nothing. Finally I took it somewhere and they told me I had "play" in the tie rod ends, drag link, and some in one of the ball joints. They actually physically showed me all of this too. Got a second opinion at a 4x4 specialty place and they said my ball joints were the main culprit (top driver side joint). I replaced the components and ball joints and my jeep runs like new again.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default Track Bar

I just Dropped mine off at the dealer and was told its the track bar causing the pants soiling death wobble, mine was really bad from 35-45 mph randomly i guess after i hit bumps but it was so bad i had to pull over a few times. also look into replacing this yourself, if i would have know how easy it was i would have done the same. Dealer is charging me $560 to fix it and the part is only around $100 so im getting screwed there lol also its only 2 bolts to have to deal with so i dont know why i am getting charged so much for labor, anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: death wobble