Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

death wobble

Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default a hd teraflex monster track bar is only 240.00

Originally Posted by sniper Scool
I just Dropped mine off at the dealer and was told its the track bar causing the pants soiling death wobble, mine was really bad from 35-45 mph randomly i guess after i hit bumps but it was so bad i had to pull over a few times. also look into replacing this yourself, if i would have know how easy it was i would have done the same. Dealer is charging me $560 to fix it and the part is only around $100 so im getting screwed there lol also its only 2 bolts to have to deal with so i dont know why i am getting charged so much for labor, anyone have any ideas?
and only takes 1 hr labor they are seriously ripping you off blind

I bought one haven't installed it yet
Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed to if let off the gas before hitting a bump it doesn't go crazy Think I'm gonna just go ahead and upgrade all my tierod ends and maybe ball joints too.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkRich
Pretty bad every time I hit a bump feels like it's gonna come apart, got new tires and re balanced not long ago. I was tightening all bolts to spec and found the top of the shocks loose.
The spec top front shock is only 20 lbs. I replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, tie rod, and drag link, had alignment done, wheels balanced. I finally decided to take it in. 2/3 shop wanted to change the steering stabilizer even though I already replaced it. The shop that fixed it simply changed out the tie rod, the only part I didn't change. I didn't suspect it because the play was very minimal. Lesson learned, any play is bad news. I suggest start by watching planman's videos and go from there.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sniper Scool
I just Dropped mine off at the dealer and was told its the track bar causing the pants soiling death wobble, mine was really bad from 35-45 mph randomly i guess after i hit bumps but it was so bad i had to pull over a few times. also look into replacing this yourself, if i would have know how easy it was i would have done the same. Dealer is charging me $560 to fix it and the part is only around $100 so im getting screwed there lol also its only 2 bolts to have to deal with so i dont know why i am getting charged so much for labor, anyone have any ideas?
The track bar is usually not the problem. The problem is where the track bar mounts, the bolt used is smaller than the mounting hole. In time the bolt loosens and ends up widening the mounting hole. I'm not sure why Chrysler didn't use 9/16 bolts which fit perfectly. Mine started to wallow out so I replaced my bolt with a 9/16 shouldered bolt. Maybe the dealer had to possibly weld a plate because the hole got too large?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Canibeat
The track bar is usually not the problem. The problem is where the track bar mounts, the bolt used is smaller than the mounting hole. In time the bolt loosens and ends up widening the mounting hole. I'm not sure why Chrysler didn't use 9/16 bolts which fit perfectly. Mine started to wallow out so I replaced my bolt with a 9/16 shouldered bolt. Maybe the dealer had to possibly weld a plate because the hole got too large?
. ?
Mine was 100% the trackbar. Bushing on frame end was worn out.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 had a lil bit of wobble that turned into the track bar axle bracket ripping off the tube !!! That was death wobble ! Check that axle bracket make sure it's not cracked !! I welded it back together then added a aftermarket beefier bracket. Also did a JKS track bar. The jeep goes down the road now better than day one off the dealers lot !!!!!

Last edited by Bob Mroz; 03-25-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

What resolved mine was alignment. I had the tires rebalanced and made sure all the bolts were to specs and still saw the death wobble. Then I notice my tires were wearing down in splotchy pattern. So I took it to get realigned and sure enough my alignment was off significantly. I got that fixed and resolved the death wobble.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

It's fixed new adjustable track bar no more dw. ..

Quick Reply: death wobble