Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble GoPro Video - HELP!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the pitman arm and gear box? Was reading on other forums that a small percentage could cause DW?
My local 4x4 and I shop took off my steering stabilizer to locate my DW. Maybe another video with it off? Are you able to get another view of the track bar?
Best of luck!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Based on the work you've done to correct the problem and the video you produced, it looks like your motor mounts have failed. After you hit the bump, the oscillation clearly begins with the motor and reverberates throughout the body causing the body to sway over the front axle.

Your motor and transmission are mounted on rubber mounts to reduce vibration to the cabin and to allow for minor movement of the driveline, but not that much.

I have never known nor suspected motor mounts to cause death wobble, but that video is indisputable.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! Just got home and boom, lots of help!

Originally Posted by Monte417
wow sounds like you have a very well built front end. The one time I had wobble it was loose front lower control bolts arm and axle side trackbar bolts. After i tightened up everything it came back a few weeks later. The reason being that the previous episode of dw toasted my bushings on one of the control arms and trackbar. check your bushings even if they are torqued to spec and relatively new. Same thing with your tie rod and draglink ends just one episode of dw can toast those to. my buddy had to replace his tie rod entirely because his loose trackbar bolt which caused his dw toasted his tie rod ends. good luck
Track Bar bushings are indeed a concern at this point. The Upper and Lower control arms are all Johnny Joints and were very solid when I had them off. The Axle side uppers are also a few month old Johnny joints pressed into the factory locations with the Currie kit. No rubber left on any control arms. They were installed a while before the wobble started so (I think) those can be eliminated for now.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blade
Have you replaced your trackbar yet, or just the bolts? The axle is bouncing side to side like that is the problem. Steering and ball joints look solid throughout the video, but the trackbar looks bad.
Just bolts so far. I have a new synergy unit on it's way as of now that uses a lower rod end and upper bushing. With the concerns I already had and a lot of you guys thinking the same thing I felt it made sense. Hopefully that will at least be one piece of the puzzle.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Donttread
How new are your tires? I had a road force balance done and both tires were bad with 80% tread left. Replaced tires and no more wobble.
They are about 3 months old. Only about 2500 miles on them. They were balanced when I got them, and again about a week ago to be positive they weren't part of the issue. I can go anywhere from 0-80mph on a smooth road or freeway and they are smooth as glass.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK7007
Have you checked the unit bearings? I know when i had this problem mine were shot. I cant say it was the problem, but i replaced them along with ball joints and new trac bar.
Honestly not positive how to properly check them. They are about a year old, I can't remember exactly why I replaced them last time. Might have been as a DW precaution then also. When I had them off (one of the half dozen times lately) I inspected and checked for any wear or play and didn't seem to find any. I assume there would be some king of side play or pull out if they were damaged?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
I am thinking track bar. There are some threads on the jks track bars flexing. I think jks has three or more redesigns of the track bar. See if you can borrow a stock one and test it out.
Hopefully I'll have better luck with the synergy unit that is on it's way. I can't see any flex in the upper section but as others mentioned the video does hide the lower section. Even with giving up some vibration dampening of bushings, I feel like I need the strength of a rod end lower at this point. Fingers crossed on the new track bar.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techd00d
Hopefully I'll have better luck with the synergy unit that is on it's way. I can't see any flex in the upper section but as others mentioned the video does hide the lower section. Even with giving up some vibration dampening of bushings, I feel like I need the strength of a rod end lower at this point. Fingers crossed on the new track bar.
Without a doubt a trackbar issue. The axle shifts side to side drastically. I'm sure the wobble has also done some damage to the steering box as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tltony
Good job with the Jeep and the video, that helps a lot. If you look at the slow speed, you can see the coilovers swinging side to side, meaning the axle's moving side to side that much also. The placement of the go pro blocks a clear view of the track rod though. Move the camera so that you get a better view, and try to figure out if the bar is bending, or the brackets are flexing, or a hiem is loose or a combination of all those things. If it were me I would concentrate on that first. It might take a custom set of fabbed chrom- moly track rod brackets holding some 1 1/4" heims and 2" chromo tubing, or the like. Off road race car stuff.
Also, how many miles on the steering gear box? A fresh box will probably help temporarily, since you said it has some play in it but you'll just pound out the box pretty quickly again until things are stabilized better. Might need to put in a "Howe Power Steering" box, pump and external ram to tighten things up on the steering for the long term.
Tony
Yeah, I need to remount the gopro further toward the driver side to miss the draglink being in the way. Would probably shed more light on the lower section. I agree with you on going with a rod end as appose to a bushing at this point. I know I'll be giving up some vibration dampening but should eliminate any play. The Synergy unit I ordered says "Made from high quality 1-1/4" 1018 CR Solid Round Barstock" with a Chromoly rod end.

I wish the upper was also a rod end, but I guess they are trying to get in a little vibration dampening still. Lower always seems to be the more troublesome side.

Steering box is factory and I have 44k miles on the jeep now. Daily driver / trail rig. I have considered ram assist as part of this. PSC's kit comes with a new steering box that is suppose to be better than stock. I am open to doing so as soon as the budget allows but I would HATE to put all that into it ans still have wobble.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
I haven't seen an engine move that much since I tore-up the motor mounts in my 1995 XJ.
Uggg, I know. That part was quite a surprise to see when I first watched!

Quick Reply: Death Wobble GoPro Video - HELP!