Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble Question - diagnosis?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble Question - diagnosis?

Ok so I know I have tires with a balance issue. Got them re-balanced and that fixed the shake between 55-60. I also had tie rods and drag link replaced and a double stabilizer added. I have had a few instances where I have had a terrible wobble since all that was done and just find it hard to believe that when hitting a bump or something that I would get a terrible wobble from tires with balance issue. Otherwise it is riding fine with these tires. So my real question is the only two parts left to help diagnose this is ball joints and track bar? I am going to replace both soon for the hell of it even if they are not bad. I have 33's now but going to 35's really soon. I have a 2011 rubi with 4.11 gears. Also, RC 2.5 lift. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 04-13-2020, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

If you are getting a true wobble, these are primarily due to loose TB bolts, bad TB joints, and bad ball joints. Have you previously replaced those ball joints? Usually BJs become a headache with 35" tires and larger, but they are a wear item and you have a 9yo jeep now. The test for a ball joint is easy. Jack the tire up a couple inches, get a shovel or something under the tire, step on the handle using it as leverage to force the tire up. The easiest place to look for movement is by the upper BJ where the C meets the knuckle. You shouldn't see much movement at all. For TB, get someone to turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the frame-side joint for movement. Lots of times it's easy to spot movement without the engine on (actually a little harder with the PS in action IMO).

If you need BJs, Teraflex is probably the best budget-friendly option going at the moment. Most people don't care to pay up for Rare Parts.

Those double steering stabilizers are pretty redonk. You should be able to drive your jeep just fine without a SS at all. That double one is only masking issues.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not replaced the ball joints or track bar yet. Planning to do that pretty soon. Tires will go on really soon. Only things that have been replaced are tie rods and drag link. I have done the test for track bar and ball joints and didnt see any movement. I needed a new stabilizer and got the double. I did not get it to mask issues. With the wobble I had the other day there was no masking. More like closer to death.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 359 Likes on 335 Posts

A good video, in case you haven't seen this one on D-wobble.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQw...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Question - diagnosis?