Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision Time, which lift to buy? Between 2.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decision Time, which lift to buy? Between 2.

I have a 2014 Sahara Unlimited 4 dr that I'm wanting to install a lift, trying to decide on the Teraflex 2.5 lift or the Rancho 2" Sport lift. Both come with shocks and rubber bump stops but the Teraflex has a bit more brackets, both have Springs which I like as well. I'm going to run either a 33" tire 275/70/18 or a 35" 35/12.50/18, really can't decide on that either.
So will one of these lifts outlast the other, is the 9000 shocks from the Rancho lift better than the teraflex shocks?
Any suggestions between the 2 will be appreciated, thanks. I've also got 3.73 gears as well if that makes a difference.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:34 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's Compare:

TeraFlex 2.5

Rancho 2.0

Assuming these are relative or correct images of the suspensions you're referring to. One key point that I see in both of these system, Is that rancho utilizes the double rate coil system, Teraflex doesn't. To me it is important to utilize either a double rate or triple rate coil system. Not sure your view on this.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would think hard about this kit. https://www.metalcloak.com/4-Door-Je...ost-p/7126.htm Just use the factory shocks unless you are going to go out and wheel it a lot. You can add better shocks and other components to the kit over time if you need to adjust for more articulation or bigger tires. Don't even mess around with 33" tires go right to 35's and expect to drop some coin on some gears if you have 3.21 in your axles from the factory. Dual rate vs progressive is all about what you are going to do with it and the available compressed and free length. I would not choose a coil just based on if it is a dual rate or not.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go Teraflex over Rancho, but I would go Metal Cloak over either of those. I had Teraflex on a previous Jeep, and it was great, but Metal Cloak is so much better. I do like the Falcon shocks, though. They work awesome with MetalCloak.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
Let's Compare:

TeraFlex 2.5

Rancho 2.0

Assuming these are relative or correct images of the suspensions you're referring to. One key point that I see in both of these system, Is that rancho utilizes the double rate coil system, Teraflex doesn't. To me it is important to utilize either a double rate or triple rate coil system. Not sure your view on this.
Apparently there's something about the double rate springs that has a lot to do with ride quality, metal cloak uses these as well. So I'm sure this would be something to consider.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Dual rates offer longer length for lower lift height nothing really to do with ride quality other then lcog
Old 02-03-2018, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a Teraflex 2.5 on my two door. Ride quality is ok, but I will be changing springs as the budget allows. Will be going metalcloak or RK. The Teraflex isn't handling the weight I am adding very well.

I really like their other products, and the bracketry is good, but I want different springs.
The following users liked this post:
Rock Krawler Suspension (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

From what I've been able to read about and looking at comments, unless I change my mind looks like the Rancho has won out. I think I want the dual rate springs for sure.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tnheritage

I'm happy that you've made up your mind, but do not let my comment sway your judgment as the triple rate coils are going to be our selection. My personal opinion should have no barring on your selection as I was merely posting a noticeable difference in these 2 sets you've selected.

Also, it's not just the coils but the shocks, when both of these component work together to product a better ride, then you'll know you've selected to correct system. One key point that needs to be addressed is that how the system will be used. We're going for a better more secure ride, which will add a slight boost.

So perhaps there is another system which utilizes the dual or triple rate coils (if this is what you want) but allows you to selected the shocks you need to actually allow the system to work properly.

The only way to tell that a system has a dual rate or triple rate coil is how it's twisted. Note the top of the Rancho coils (unsure who manufactured them for Rancho) but the twist is tighter. Again, if anyone here knows about these lifts as he has a post devoted to this topic is TheDirtMan.

Last edited by TrailBadger; 02-03-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
tnheritage

I'm happy that you've made up your mind, but do not let my comment sway your judgment as the triple rate coils are going to be our selection. My personal opinion should have no barring on your selection as I was merely posting a noticeable difference in these 2 sets you've selected.

Also, it's not just the coils but the shocks, when both of these component work together to product a better ride, then you'll know you've selected to correct system. One key point that needs to be addressed is that how the system will be used. We're going for a better more secure ride, which will add a slight boost.

So perhaps there is another system which utilizes the dual or triple rate coils (if this is what you want) but allows you to selected the shocks you need to actually allow the system to work properly.

The only way to tell that a system has a dual rate or triple rate coil is how it's twisted. Note the top of the Rancho coils (unsure who manufactured them for Rancho) but the twist is tighter. Again, if anyone here knows about these lifts as he has a post devoted to this topic is TheDirtMan.
I certainly appreciate the advice you gave but I read several post about the Rancho system and the shocks that are adjustable I might add, I also watched a video on metal cloak's web site about the dual rate springs and if I wasn't on a budget I'd probably step on up and purchase there system but for what I will do I should never need that type of system. I just think that for no more than I'll need the Rancho system will be fine and the occasional jaunt off the rd, this system should suffice as well.
Thanks again for all the comments.

Quick Reply: Decision Time, which lift to buy? Between 2.