Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Deep mud and water for manual tranny

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep mud and water for manual tranny

I know that deep water and mud is a NO-NO for a manual tranny , but is there any way to mud and water proof my JK so that it will tolerate deep water and mud with out costly repairs to the clutch and where ever all the water and mud gets in? Is this just a jeep thing or all stick shifts?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by TN-MEDIC-14
I know that deep water and mud is a NO-NO for a manual tranny , but is there any way to mud and water proof my JK so that it will tolerate deep water and mud with out costly repairs to the clutch and where ever all the water and mud gets in? Is this just a jeep thing or all stick shifts?
not sure about how to water proof it, but i do believe it to be a manual thing rather then just a jeep thing.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

I also believe its a manual thing, for me i eather use one specific gear or shift witthout the clutch with exception for reverse.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard that you're supposed to keep the clutch engaged the entire time when water fording to keep water out of the clutch. I'm assuming that if you have to stop mid-stream, you're in trouble. How did folks manage before auto trans?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by monte
I've heard that you're supposed to keep the clutch engaged the entire time when water fording to keep water out of the clutch. I'm assuming that if you have to stop mid-stream, you're in trouble. How did folks manage before auto trans?
I'm hardly the expert on this, but it seems to me that if you stay in first gear you'll be fine. No?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

yeah - its a manual thing.

Shifting/clutching can let water in, as the boot has to move when the clutch slave cyinder actuates, etc.

Pick the gear you think you'll be in the whole way through....and guess right.

That said - water gets into axle tubes, and so forth too...the tranny is just ONE example....so you CAN shift in water w/o the jeep exploding...but, you will want to clean it out again/fresh lube if needed after you're done playing that weekend, etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ
yeah - its a manual thing.

Shifting/clutching can let water in, as the boot has to move when the clutch slave cyinder actuates, etc.

Pick the gear you think you'll be in the whole way through....and guess right.

That said - water gets into axle tubes, and so forth too...the tranny is just ONE example....so you CAN shift in water w/o the jeep exploding...but, you will want to clean it out again/fresh lube if needed after you're done playing that weekend, etc.

If i did have to shift how would i get the water out of the tranny? just drain and add new fluid? and how would i know if water got in and it needed to be changed?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkkat
I also believe its a manual thing, for me i eather use one specific gear or shift witthout the clutch with exception for reverse.
How do you shift w/o the clutch? and how did people do it before there were autos?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TN-MEDIC-14
How do you shift w/o the clutch??
It a very carefull event that can happen when you match the engine RPM's the the speed you are going. I use the feel in the stick to tell me with light pressure making sure NOT to grind and when it is right, it slips right in.

been doing it sence my first car.

Kat
Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkkat
It a very carefull event that can happen when you match the engine RPM's the the speed you are going. I use the feel in the stick to tell me with light pressure making sure NOT to grind and when it is right, it slips right in.

been doing it sence my first car.

Kat
Excactly. It's tricky to get the hang of but like Kat said, the right amount of pressure and speed/rpm match you will feel it slip right in place. It's worth while to learn.

Quick Reply: Deep mud and water for manual tranny