Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Deep mud and water for manual tranny

Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Its called double clutching (ironically)...in the days before synchromesh gears...that was the ONLY way to shift.

In racing, we sometimes called it a power shift, etc.

Essentially, what you're doing is matching the rpm in the gear you're in, to what the new rpm will be in the new gear...so that the teeth are all turning in unison, and mesh w/o having to separate them with the clutch.

Newer (like the past sevral decades...) trannies have syncho's that spin the gears up as the teeth approach each other, to synchronize them for you/smooth the shifting.

One some large trucks, and on some OLD iron....you STILL have to double clutch, as there's no synchros, etc.

For a power shift, which is closer to what you do under water....you do the same thing, w/o the clutch...just blip the throttle as needed to get the gears in synch as you slap it into the next gear (Not a tentative move....either they mesh, or it makes a nasty grinding gnashing of teeth noise....you HAVE to commit to do it), you want the teeth engaged ASAP, no gently gliding them in...more like rrrrrrRRRRRRRR BANG! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!.

At least when racing.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkkat
It a very carefull event that can happen when you match the engine RPM's the the speed you are going. I use the feel in the stick to tell me with light pressure making sure NOT to grind and when it is right, it slips right in.

been doing it sence my first car.

Kat
Same here.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought the skidrow skid plate and it helped out allot this time around. it blocks the mud and water from going directly into the tranny vents.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Its called double clutching (ironically)...in the days before synchromesh gears...that was the ONLY way to shift.

In racing, we sometimes called it a power shift, etc.

Essentially, what you're doing is matching the rpm in the gear you're in, to what the new rpm will be in the new gear...so that the teeth are all turning in unison, and mesh w/o having to separate them with the clutch.

Newer (like the past sevral decades...) trannies have syncho's that spin the gears up as the teeth approach each other, to synchronize them for you/smooth the shifting.

One some large trucks, and on some OLD iron....you STILL have to double clutch, as there's no synchros, etc.

For a power shift, which is closer to what you do under water....you do the same thing, w/o the clutch...just blip the throttle as needed to get the gears in synch as you slap it into the next gear (Not a tentative move....either they mesh, or it makes a nasty grinding gnashing of teeth noise....you HAVE to commit to do it), you want the teeth engaged ASAP, no gently gliding them in...more like rrrrrrRRRRRRRR BANG! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!.

At least when racing.

my DD is a large truck. I rarely use the cluch while up and down shifting(double clutch from low to high range[18spd], and to get into 1st from a stop)
Sometimes I wish my Jeep shifted like my Peterbilt. Syncromesh tranys are harder to "throttle" shift than the big trucks. I like the stick but have gott'n lazy about using a clutch while "throttle" shifting in a big truck for the last 15 yrs.

from Byron,GA today
Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

poor grammar is my pet peeve.

Ok what if you stop in the middle of a crossing and have to re-start car.... ?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

i to can do this in the jeep, but when crossing rivers etc...i usually use low range and 3rd gear...its perfect usually
Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like I have something to practice! Wish I had a p.o.s. to grind gears in... hearin' the new JK grind isn't pleasant

Then again, I didn't buy it to treat it with kid gloves....
Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
i to can do this in the jeep, but when crossing rivers etc...i usually use low range and 3rd gear...its perfect usually
GREAT tip.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a clutch thing and it affects all clutch 4 wheelers. For my gearing and transfer case 2nd or 3rd (in low) is good for me. You don't want to haul through deep water/muddy water. While the actual transmission is a concern the issue is getting water between your clutch plates. Pushing your clutch in and out just adds more suction and there ya go. If you have to shift to keep moving then you gotta do it. It's worse to just sit dead in deep water. When your all done and safe at home make sure you check your diffs, engine oil, and transmission for water contamination. Keep in mind a hot differential hitting cold water makes it suck in, and that's the case for most of the drive train and engine.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ
I'm confused, Teej. Double-clutching in my old Volkswagen Karmann Ghia without syhnchro's in first meant pressing and releasing the clutch twice--once in neutral to get the gears spinning at the same speed. Are you saying that shifting without using the clutch (to avoid getting water in the tranny) is also termed double-clutching?

Quick Reply: Deep mud and water for manual tranny