Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting crankcase hose or catch can?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deleting crankcase hose or catch can?

After much reading on boosted engines with pcv systems, im starting to get the understanding it depletes performance, fouls spark plugs and reduces performance. I was thinking of running either a breather and capping the SC or adding a catch can. I understand its more of an emissions thing. Ripp also has some type of pcv valve that helps performance under boost but nothing to do with fouling.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Regarding the environmental aspect of the pcv system...
Look at some pictures of roads and highways back in the days prior to the 1960's. The black streak in the middle of each travel lane is from oil dripping from the crankcase draft tube. The tube was cut to pull a slight vacuum when traveling at speed. It would draw oil vapor and combustion gases from the crankcase, and allow them to condense and drip onto the road.
It was passive crankcase ventilation, rather than today's positive crankcase ventilation.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me that a catch can is my best option. I believe the previous owner of my SC ran a catch can.

Quick Reply: Deleting crankcase hose or catch can?