Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Detroit True-Trac

Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit True-Trac

Does anyone have the detroit true trac and have any exprience with these.
i'm lookin into one of these for around $600 new for the rear of my jk and im told they have fully automatic limited slip and performs like an open diff until it is needed. i originally wanted an OX cable actuated locker but was told not to based on the physical location of the lever is not jk friendly and the cable itself constantly needs to be re-adjusted..... and going ARB is too expensive for me!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had them on the front and back of my XJ and highly recommend them. Totally invisible until needed and then they worked pretty close to a full locker. Also neeed no maintenance or adjustments.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

thanx for the reply , i'm definitly looking into this for the rear.....
and will look into something else for the front which will definitly be a selectable....
Old 04-19-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be picking a detroit true-trac up for my front d30 tomorrow.

If your simply upgrading from an open carrier to this LSD, that should be a nice little upgrade for ya...but at that price, why not consider the Auburn ECTED like I have for the my rear 44? It performs as an LSD until you lock it electromagentically...then it is completely locked. It's only about 100 bucks more than the true-trac.
Though personally I don't believe you got an accurate evaluation of the OX locker...yes there have been some discussions regarding it's calbe adjustment issues, but as far as I've heard once properly adjusted it performs beautifully...and if all it takes is an adjustment now and then to maintain it, don't let that deter you...as for the location of the lever being unfriendly that doesn't make sense to me...seems to me you can mount the damned lever just about anywhere you want it, I'd look into it a bit more...someone on here is running one I'm sure they'll let you know.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i ran Ox lockers front and rear on my CJ-5 with d44 axles and they worked perfectly only had to adjust the cable 2 times in 4 years, and that jeep had more trail time than pavement. Highly recomended!!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WIth the BLD, the True Trac should come pretty close to what a locker can do.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

im kinda lost when it comes to lockers. will this be good for the front when on wet/snowy pavement, some say a selectable is better for the front but the auburn ectd looks like something to look into....
So that auburn ectd locks fully and will be good for the rear 44? and can also be used in the front too?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
I'll be picking a detroit true-trac up for my front d30 tomorrow.

I just started a thread on the LSD and locker options for the D30 diff...
To the best of what I can discover, the Detroit Trutrac only works on an SAE D-30, not the newer Metric D30. When I asked Detroit about any products for the D30 Metric FRONT diff, they said "we have no plans at this time to build a LSD product for the Metric Dana 30 front Differential".

May I ask what year your Jeep is? 07,08,or 09?
Can you post the results of your pruchase and installation here? I, for one, would be very interested to hear of your experience!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like the Auburn is the way to go imho. A true lsd and locker when you need it. Looks like what I will go with for my 08 Sahara.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

At that price, go to a full locker. There is no point tearing your axle apart and spending the money for installation and only have a limited-slip. That's like spending the money to re-gear and NOT installing a locker. No point.

Quick Reply: Detroit True-Trac