Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Detroit truetrac

Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit truetrac

Hey there jk fans. Need your help I bought a truetrac for my dana44 rear when it arrived I had a local shop here on guam change my gears front and rear. When it came time to install truetrac in rear the shop calls me and tells me the bolts don't go thru.so I asked what the solution would be. The shop calls randy and he says drill the holes bigger or get smaller bolts and put it thru the bigger hole. So they get smaller bolts they say wasn't around to see the install. I guess what I'm asking is how do I tell if the shop really installed the truetrac in my dana44 or did they jip me and say they did. Really don't wanna take diff cover off or open drain plug. How do I know it's really in there? Is there a way I can tell easily. Jack the rear up put in gear and spin tire or what else can I do to know its in there. Any advise will be awesome. Please help. Thanks in advance. Really want to know if they really installed it. Thanks again from guam671jk
Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you jack up the rear (both tires with the drive shaft able to free spin), the tires will turn opposite directions, just like an open diff. With one tire lifted and the drive shaft locked (in park or in gear with a manual- e-brake OFF), the lifted tire will not turn.

With a clutch driven LSD the tires will both spin the same way when both tires are lifted and the drive shaft is unlocked.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

With both tires on rear up would it have to be in gear with e brake off for me to see the tires spin in different directions or would it still spin different directions in neutral? You said a LSD both tires will turn the same way is a truetrac a LSD? Thanks for your help really appreciate it. Gonna try this out now.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

You're missing the part where I said clutch driven LSD (limited slip differential). A Truetrac is a gear driven LSD.

First raise both rear tires with the trans in neutral and parking brake off. Spin a rear tire by hand and the opposite tire should rotate in the opposite direction. With a clutch driven LSD, both tires will turn the SAME direction. Then try it with just 1 rear tire off the ground, leave the rig in gear or park, parking brake off, and see if you can turn the raised tire. With a Truetrac you should not be able to turn the tire.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guam671jk
With both tires on rear up would it have to be in gear with e brake off for me to see the tires spin in different directions or would it still spin different directions in neutral? You said a LSD both tires will turn the same way is a truetrac a LSD? Thanks for your help really appreciate it. Gonna try this out now.
If it is in neutral the assembly will spin the same direction. Because the driveshaft is stationary the opposite side will spin backwards if an open carrier because the pinions allow (drive) it. I had a Detroit locker in a car once (to help traction off the line) and I seem to remember I couldn't spin the tire with the tranny in gear without turning the engine over slowly (4 speed)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Ok thanks guys yup it's installed.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing smaller bolts was the WRONG thing to do. The bigger holes in the ring gear were used instead of the small ones for a reason. The case needed to be drilled. It's really easy to do on a drill press and you don't remove much stock.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-05-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Dynatrac,

I tried doing this with one tire on ground not able to turn tire of the ground so that works. I tried putting in neutral with e brake off and both tires in air only one tire spins but when in gear and e brake off tires spin opposite direction so does this mean its installed and working? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure they didn't jip me.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
If it is in neutral the assembly will spin the same direction. Because the driveshaft is stationary the opposite side will spin backwards if an open carrier because the pinions allow (drive) it. I had a Detroit locker in a car once (to help traction off the line) and I seem to remember I couldn't spin the tire with the tranny in gear without turning the engine over slowly (4 speed)
This is not correct. A Truetrac will not spin in the same direction if you spin a tire by hand and the the drive shaft is unlocked. It will spin in opposite directions just like an open diff.

Off topic- With a Detroit locker you can spin a single tire by hand if you load the other side the opposite direction. Meaning, with the drive shaft locked, if people on both sides turn the tire forward, then one holds a tire with pressure forward, the other tire will unlock and spin backwards. This is known as the locker test. This is done to check locker function.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by guam671jk
Dynatrac,

I tried doing this with one tire on ground not able to turn tire of the ground so that works. I tried putting in neutral with e brake off and both tires in air only one tire spins but when in gear and e brake off tires spin opposite direction so does this mean its installed and working? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure they didn't jip me.
It's fine. The preload varies with these and having only one spin when unlocked is possible. The tire on the ground was the real test. With a clutch driven LSD you can overcome clutch pressure and make the single tire turn. It's very firm but it will turn. You're good, no worries.

Quick Reply: Detroit truetrac