Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DiabloSport

Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DiabloSport

I've got a 2011 Rubicon that's my daily driver. I've had it for 2 years and love the Jeep. My first Jeep since 1983. I'm beginning to formulate a plan for upgrades as I've started to do some "mild" off-roading about once a month. Again, it's my only daily driver so I can't get too wild. Before I start with lifts, tires/wheels, and bumpers - I thought I'd like to get a little more performance out of the Jeep. It's a stock Rubicon with 6-speed manual gearbox.

I was thinking of buying a DiabloSport tuner (just saw it's available for 2011), CAI and headers/exhaust. But to be honest, I not certain what that buys me? I haven't seen any spec's on the tuner other than driver "feel". Seems I'd like something a little more concrete before shelling out $500. Any ideas of the actual HP and torque gains from the tuner? Is there a tune for 87 octane fuel? Or if I plan on running 87, am I wasting my time with tune? Are there advantages with adding CAI and headers/exhaust?

I bought a Jeep. I knew what I was buying so am not looking for a sports car. Just trying to add a little lower end power and maybe some acceleration for passing.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

I also have a 11 rubicon 6spd i cant give any hp or tq numbers but my trinity helps the drivability quite a bit i have mine set for 91 oct and the etc maxed out no more delay
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

I know you have a Manuel but do u know if it can adjust auto shift points?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

I have always thought that tuners don't do much for JKs with standard transmissions.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by kjelder
I've got a 2011 Rubicon that's my daily driver. I've had it for 2 years and love the Jeep. My first Jeep since 1983. I'm beginning to formulate a plan for upgrades as I've started to do some "mild" off-roading about once a month. Again, it's my only daily driver so I can't get too wild. Before I start with lifts, tires/wheels, and bumpers - I thought I'd like to get a little more performance out of the Jeep. It's a stock Rubicon with 6-speed manual gearbox.

I was thinking of buying a DiabloSport tuner (just saw it's available for 2011), CAI and headers/exhaust. But to be honest, I not certain what that buys me? I haven't seen any spec's on the tuner other than driver "feel". Seems I'd like something a little more concrete before shelling out $500. Any ideas of the actual HP and torque gains from the tuner? Is there a tune for 87 octane fuel? Or if I plan on running 87, am I wasting my time with tune? Are there advantages with adding CAI and headers/exhaust?

I bought a Jeep. I knew what I was buying so am not looking for a sports car. Just trying to add a little lower end power and maybe some acceleration for passing.
I've used the Trinity for a bit over a year. Went with it because of the ability to have a custom tune, and with most other tuners that's not a possibility. Gasoline appears to be more prone to spark-knock these days, and sometimes cheap regular is all there is. With the Trinity you can log the F/A ratio, spark advance, MAP, and everything related, email the data to a tune shop along with a description of what your tuning priorities are, and get a tune that really works for you. TuningSuperStore did mine, and I'm happy with the results -- No spark knock, good MPG, and reasonable power.

I think the feeling of low end torque comes from smooth running without spark-knock. For passing, typically a downshift with the rev's above 4000 is the ticket, and 5000 is not a bad shift point. Depending on fuel quality and temperature, with the stock tune I'd sometimes get spark-knock at about 3500 RPM at full throttle and have to back off. Now it purrs on up to red line.

BTW there are some adjustments you can make to the canned tunes for WOT Spark and Fuel. But, I wanted more, hence the custom tune.

Regarding the CAI, my advice is don't - The stock box is usually best for keeping water out of the engine, and the power gains are minimal. BTW- I'm actually testing a prototype CAI that uses the stock box.

On the headers, I'd pass unless your after more power in the 4500+ RPM range. And I'd want to see a dyno sheet.

For the exhaust, a hi-tuck muffler doesn't change the horsepower (although a dyno might measure a small top end increase), but is good for extra clearance in the back, and is usually louder. My hearing isn't the best, and I like to shift by sound rather than looking at a tach, so the slight increase in exhaust noise works well for me.

Have fun
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I have not found any dyno tests for the Diablo Trinity, here are the numbers Diablo claims on their website:

93 Tune - 20 HP, 25 TQ
91 Tune - 18 HP, 23 TQ
87 Tune - 15 HP, 18 TQ

You can adjust shift points for AT, Boost Throttle response, as well as a Mileage Booster tune. There are several other options to choose from to change parameters as well. Check out their site to get specifics.

Quick Reply: DiabloSport