Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Did I break the end of my driveshaft out of the flange?

Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I break the end of my driveshaft out of the flange?

Hi guys, I was trying to remove my rear drive shaft for a clutch install. I was having a difficult time getting the drive shaft off of the the rear differential so I hammered it towards the front of the jeep a bit to try to free it from the diff connection (now I realize there are holes for a punch to be inserted through the flange to hammer out the drive shaft). Anyways I finally got the driveshaft disconnected from the diff but now I have a question. The drive shaft has a rubber connecter at the end connecting it to the flange of the drive shaft. Is this made to be 2 separate pieces? Or did I break them apart when hammering? If I pull on the flange the rubber connector stretches out and I can feel the shaft come out of the flange. It doesn't totally come apart because the rubber connecter is still there. Is this broken or supposed to be this way? If I pull hard enough I can pull the shaft all the way out of the flange (but again it stays together because of the rubber connector).

Thanks in advance! Hope I didn't break it.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Junkie

Do you have a pic ?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	513906Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2336.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	513907

I circled the area that I'm talking about.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

I may be wrong but as long as the rubber boot is not torn then you should be fine...maybe some of the mechanically inclined folks can say definitively
Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Quadratec sells a rebuild kit for those joints (don't know the mfg's name). You might see if they have downloadable instructions that would show how the joint is put together, or how the boot is attached.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Quadratec sells a rebuild kit for those joints (don't know the mfg's name). You might see if they have downloadable instructions that would show how the joint is put together, or how the boot is attached.
Good idea, thanks man
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	659701431_o.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	513911
Looks like it's open, no casing to break out of. I think I'm ok.

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Quick Reply: Did I break the end of my driveshaft out of the flange?