Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Solution to Bestop Trektop NX Full Convertible

Old 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmonty72
OK... you might have just saved me the trouble of selling my Trektop NX and buying a supertop, thank you for that. One question...Does anything keep the round black bar(the one that gets strapped to the sound bar, basically the hinge for the sunrider system) from sliding out of the rolled up top?
there is a plastic clip that should be there in the middle that clips over the fabric and holds it pretty tight. I don't think it would go anywhere.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Got it installed yesterday, went on real easy. Took me and a buddy about 2 hours or so, helped a lot that it was 90 degrees here in albuquerque the last few days.

Immediately tried the first trick and it worked like a charm, real simple to do. Probably gonna end up trying out the bracket method too, I like the look of it sitting on the rear roll bar.

For those of you that roll your windows up into a roll, Do you have any issues rolling up the sides that slide into the door surround? I'm assuming since mine is new they're super stiff, but I tried rolling them that way and it seems like I shouldn't be rolling it up
Old 06-04-2015, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

After the painfully long time it took to put it on I never even thought about taking it off until the hardtop goes back on. I guess it was everything else that was a total PITA, I am definitely going to try this over the weekend. Thanks for sharing your findings!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal. I have been scratching my head. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Havok287
Got it installed yesterday, went on real easy. Took me and a buddy about 2 hours or so, helped a lot that it was 90 degrees here in albuquerque the last few days.

Immediately tried the first trick and it worked like a charm, real simple to do. Probably gonna end up trying out the bracket method too, I like the look of it sitting on the rear roll bar.

For those of you that roll your windows up into a roll, Do you have any issues rolling up the sides that slide into the door surround? I'm assuming since mine is new they're super stiff, but I tried rolling them that way and it seems like I shouldn't be rolling it up
I tried rolling my windows when I made my brackets. I did not have any luck, but I did not try to take out the white stiffener on the inside. I am hoping that was my problem, as the guy in the video seems to roll his very easily. Another thing to note is that he rolls his in a towel. This is purely speculation but the added material from the towel increases the overall diameter of the rolled window, thus putting less stress on the window stiffeners (because you're bending it over a larger radius) making it easier to roll. That might be the secret to rolling the windows!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

to roll the sides you have to take out the plastic corners. then roll them from side to side not up down.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I saw that in the video, however I was curious because the bottom part of the windows that tuck into the tub rails do not bend easily. I found a way to fold the window in half but it creased the window so I won't be doing that again lol.

I'll try the next time rolling up the tabs that sit in the tub rail, we will see how it goes.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

are these procomp tires?

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7akculeu.jpg
Old 06-08-2015, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Unlimited_X
They're Nitto Terra Grapplers AT, 285/70/R17. They have held up pretty well in Rochester weather (rain, snow, ice, dry pavement, mud). I haven't gotten stuck yet in the light trail ridding I have done, but I have had a couple close calls in mud right after rain. Not too loud on the highway either!

Havok287
Yeah I saw that in the video, however I was curious because the bottom part of the windows that tuck into the tub rails do not bend easily. I found a way to fold the window in half but it creased the window so I won't be doing that again lol.

I'll try the next time rolling up the tabs that sit in the tub rail, we will see how it goes.
Once the window heats up again, the crease should come out. I would still rather roll the window than fold it though. I wasn't able to test the rolling the windows into the top this weekend, it was raining on and off every day
Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andy_PHA
to roll the sides you have to take out the plastic corners. then roll them from side to side not up down.
Yes, the plastic that grabs the tub seems stiff, but rolls OK and flattens out nicely once unrolled. I've had my Trektop for a year now and it is a 5 min job to take off or put back on and so am no longer hesitant about taking it off anymore.

Quick Reply: DIY Solution to Bestop Trektop NX Full Convertible