Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all 35x12.5 tires hydroplane?

Old 02-12-2019, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all 35x12.5 tires hydroplane?

This may sound stupid but I have never owned a 35” tire that didn’t turn my Jeep into a death trap when it was raining and I went through a puddle. I won’t even let my wife drive the Jeep when it rains cause anything over 45, and it just a question on where it’s going to happen. Is this pretty much something you just have to accept? Is it bc of the 12.5 width? The stock rubicon tires 255/75/17 which is basically 32x10, and they’re bfg ko3 or km3. I have 35” ko2, and have owned Mickey Thompson and swampers in the past, and they all turn my Jeep into a death trap when it when going through a puddle at 45. Is there something I’m missing here?

Last edited by Zachlieber; 02-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a set of 35s in the high country of Colorado... very small local mechanic. He recommended I sipe the tires. (over and above factory) Took me out and showed me his truck. I was super concerned it would ruin the lifespan of the tires. The difference was shocking, both in rain and snow. I was putting the exact same set on... matching the 5th tire already purchased. I got the same amount of life out of the new set with the siping. And he really went to town with the siping!

Not going to lie. Freaked me out a bit to take expensive new tires and add cuts. But it really paid off in end. Going up over the pass at Winter Park, I was able to hold the road as well as any other car.

I recently switched to a set of Procomp Mud Terrains. I just needed a break from the short life of mud tires, saw the 40K warranty, and figured it was all hype. Still don't know yet... but tires are wearing pretty well. They handle surprisingly well on rain and snow. The gaps between the treads are very(!) wide. I remember thinking it was crazy to see that much space in there. Was not a fan at beginning. Have no idea if it helps? But have to admit, Procomps are really holding their own. And I have run a ton of different 35s over many years.

Hope this helps. I tried to sipe another set (in a city) and they looked at me like I was nuts. Think it was just something this guy did when you don't see the dirt/grass for 6 months out of the year.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

How many/ what did the sipes look like?

OP- what tire pressure are you running?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

37 psi. U think lower would help?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run 33x12.50 Toyo MTs and hate them in the rain. And we get a lot of rain in Florida. My wife has the same on her F150 but 35x12.50 and they're great. I think it has to do in let with the Jeep being so light. I run mine at 29 psi.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachlieber
37 psi. U think lower would help?
Most people run a 35 much lower than that; however, lower would just exaggerate the issue I'd think as the tire would flatten out even more.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

When my Goodyear MTR Ks 315/70 R17s (35x12.50) were new they handled rain extremely well, wouldn't hydroplane hitting puddles at 70mph, now that they are getting nearer the end of their life (I've got 60,000 some odd miles on them running a five tire rotation) they are starting to get a bit more splashy. But I still love them.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jimonfly
I run 33x12.50 Toyo MTs and hate them in the rain. And we get a lot of rain in Florida. My wife has the same on her F150 but 35x12.50 and they're great. I think it has to do in let with the Jeep being so light. I run mine at 29 psi.
I think there’s definitely something to this. So is there nothing that can be done?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

My jeep is 4900lbs and I run 32psi, so maybe the weight is where it's at.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

There are 4 things that are working against you with wider tires on a JK for poor performance in rain and/or on ice.
1. The amount of tire siping as mentioned
2. The wider foot print causes the tire to float more
3. The short wheel base. So if you have a 2 door, you'll tend to have more issues in this area than a 4 door JK. This likely explains the difference on the F150 using the same tires that jimonfly mentions.
4. The JK is rear wheel drive when in 2WD mode, FWD would be better for this since you have the weight of the engine pushing down on the tires which are pulling the vehicle along. Driving in 4WD could help you, or putting it in 4WD and removing the rear drive shaft. I never understood why they don't make T-cases which give you the option to drive in FWD when in 2WD mode.

In regards to tire types you also have a best to worst in these areas of performance for rain and ice as well.
1. dedicated snow tires (provide more siping)
2. highway tread
3. all terrain
4. mud tires

The KO2 is really a cross between an AT and a MT and the Mickey Thompsons Mud Swampers are a M/T. So the combination of the tires being wider and also the tread pattern make them poor performers in the rain and on ice, thus the reason for your poor experience in the rain. You either need to move further away from the M/T thread, add siping to them, or go with a narrower pizza cutter tire and/or move to a 4 door if you own a 2 door JK.

I always get a kick out of people when they say <insert their tire of choice here> is great on snow/ice, rain, mud, on the highway and are quiet on the highway as well. Such a tire does not exist, there is always a compromise in one area over the other. A/T's are typically the happy medium but will typically not perform the best in all areas of different terrains, it will be dependent on the type of AT thread and the width. There is always a gain in one area, with a sacrifice in another but that doesn't stop people from insisting <insert their tire of choice here> has been able to defy the laws of physics.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-13-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Do all 35x12.5 tires hydroplane?