Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I expect too much

Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I expect too much

Over the past few weeks I have ordered bumpers and rail plus flares from the biggest names in the industry. To say the least I expected more than I think i received. I understand they are a wrangler and I am not bad mouthing them. I just think I had high expectations and was let down on the quality i got. The only thing that exceeded me expectations was my Or-Fab sheetmetal bumper, which was the cheapest thing I put on.

JCR Front bumper and Skid.
There were nicks all over the bumper that had to be grounded down so as not to show thue the powder coating. Also the Skid plate was a Mother to install and no directions were sent. ( With this I expected no nicks or areas that needed to be ground down) Once I had done all this and powder coated it looked awesome.

Poison Spyder flares. Again nicks all over and on one flare the sheet metal does not meet the edge. Also the liner that goes against the body is wavy.. I moved the thing many times to try and get it flush with the jeep but no luck. There are deep scratched on the sheet metal on the rear crusher flares ( I expected perfection with the PSC stuff, they are some of the most expensive stuff out there and I was let down with the quality I received and all the prep that I had to go thru to make them look good) Last thing on this, customer service was a little lacking, I called when installing my knockers, to let them know it is only possible to installed 5 over there bolts on the underside of the Jeep and re-use three factory bolts. The guy I spoke with had no clue, and asked me to send him a photo and he would speak to their engineers and get back to me. Guess what, he never got back to me.

Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers.. This was the first PSC item I received and it had bead drips that had to be ground down, also I learned that you have to sand all the bare metal items because little bead sparks are every where.

This was not meant to be a rave, more of a questions in expectations. I would like to add that my wife notices none of this and once I did the clean up and everything was powder coated it looks badass.. It also puts a smile on my face every time I walk up to the Wrangler.

The attached pictures are of the front crusher flares, also the JCR Bumper with nicks, there were also groves in the bars (I guess from bending).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130905_152651.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	496859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130912_053553.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	496860  
Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Well i guess you could always build your own,that way if you mess it up blame yourself
Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
Well i guess you could always build your own,that way if you mess it up blame yourself
Not possible, but thank you for the sarcasm. The world definitely needs more people like you.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'd feel your pain too, considering the outrageous prices some of that stuff is.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

+1 on OR-Fab being quality though. I know that wasn't the point of your post, but I've had similar experiences myself with high end companies putting out less than quality because of their rush to meet orders.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

To be honest i just had mine redone and mostly all poison spyder stuff. I had no problem with anything other then the fact i had to get more hardware but all i had to do was called and they just sent it to me. My stuff didnt have any places in them at all. Im not sure where you got yours but i got my stuff strait from poison spyder so it had to be shipped across the country and made it will no damage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3428821004.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	496864
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes kind of all these items are meant to get scratched they are there to protect the body. Complaining about scratches on a skid plate does makes you sound kind of anal no offense. Shipping company's don't handle these items with kids gloves but they are insured by them. I know Poison Spyder has great customer service and will take care of by replacing or paying for repair if needed. They are the only ones I've dealt with in your list. May I suggest if you designing a show jeep to deal with the main company and spend a few extra dollars that they charge (not getting free shipping). This way items go thru less hands and not shipped twice. And let them know so they can double check it for drips and what not. I'm not trying to be a dick so I hope I didn't come off that way it's just these items are armor for rock crawling so most don't mind minor defects. That's why many bedline these things because it makes them easy to touch up later.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKingAround
Yes kind of all these items are meant to get scratched they are there to protect the body. Complaining about scratches on a skid plate does makes you sound kind of anal no offense. Shipping company's don't handle these items with kids gloves but they are insured by them. I know Poison Spyder has great customer service and will take care of by replacing or paying for repair if needed. They are the only ones I've dealt with in your list. May I suggest if you designing a show jeep to deal with the main company and spend a few extra dollars that they charge (not getting free shipping). This way items go thru less hands and not shipped twice. And let them know so they can double check it for drips and what not. I'm not trying to be a dick so I hope I didn't come off that way it's just these items are armor for rock crawling so most don't mind minor defects. That's why many bedline these things because it makes them easy to touch up later.
No you don't sound like a dick. I posted the question to get a response on peoples thoughts. The only comment I can make in regards to what you are saying is this. Drips and metal not meeting an edge is quality control. As far as multiple shipping the company that ships to Vendors should keep in mind how they are packing items. Since the items will most likely be shipped again. Scratches caused by branches and rocks are no big thing but again there should be none of this from the get go. I have reached out to Poison Spyder and will contact them @ 11am my time. I am not bad mouthing any of these companies, it was more about expectations.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't blame you for being upset. When you spend your hard earned money you want things to be right.
I prefer no scratches or damage, but IF it does happen, I like to be the one to blame for it.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrod250
I can't blame you for being upset. When you spend your hard earned money you want things to be right.
I prefer no scratches or damage, but IF it does happen, I like to be the one to blame for it.

I am not upset at all. I was curious as was this the norm and were my expectations to hi. On a side note PSC is sending me out a new passenger flare. So shame on me for powdercoating early....

Quick Reply: Do I expect too much