Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I really need a new driveshaft?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do I really need a new driveshaft?

Hello all, I am trying to wrap my head around some things. I have a 12 JKU Sport with a 3" TF lift on 18x9 rims with 325/60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I also have the TF HD Adjustable track bar. My question is do I need to change my front drive shaft. This is my DD with very little off road action. It is a 6 speed manual and everything seems to be fine and have no issues. I have had other jeeps with lifts and didnt have any issues with drive shaft now granted they were not the JK's. Can someone let me know is this necessary and if so why? Thank you so much for your help.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Need? No, you probably can get by without needing to replace it for some time especially if you don't go off road. The problem will come if you flex your Jeep on the trail as your longer shocks will allow for enough droop to cause your shaft to tear on the exhaust cross over - this is something your other Jeeps wouldn't of had a problem with, only your new 2012. Aside from that, the increased angle in your drive shaft will cause your output shaft CV boot to fail prematurely and that will cause the joint itself to fail as well. This won't happen all at once but, it will happen.

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-05-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon91
Hello all, I am trying to wrap my head around some things. I have a 12 JKU Sport with a 3" TF lift on 18x9 rims with 325/60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I also have the TF HD Adjustable track bar. My question is do I need to change my front drive shaft. This is my DD with very little off road action. It is a 6 speed manual and everything seems to be fine and have no issues. I have had other jeeps with lifts and didnt have any issues with drive shaft now granted they were not the JK's. Can someone let me know is this necessary and if so why? Thank you so much for your help.
For what your plans are for it, just run the stock driveshaft, just keep an eye on the driveshaft boots. If you find yourself doing more and more offroad action, consider swapping it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
For what your plans are for it, just run the stock driveshaft, just keep an eye on the driveshaft boots. If you find yourself doing more and more offroad action, consider swapping it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
I will definitely keep an eye on it. I really will not be doing much off roading at all. This is my DD and my beach mobile more than anything else. I will tell you as you are the rep for TF that I could not be any happier with the lift. I actually did lots of research on the lifts ahead of time and choose your 3" w/o shocks. The local places wanted to put on a different lift and I wouldnt allow it. After the lift I went back and ordered the track bar and had it installed and I must say it is top notch. I will definitely keep TeraFlex in mind for any future items I may need. Thank you for your help here both of you.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon91
I will definitely keep an eye on it. I really will not be doing much off roading at all. This is my DD and my beach mobile more than anything else. I will tell you as you are the rep for TF that I could not be any happier with the lift. I actually did lots of research on the lifts ahead of time and choose your 3" w/o shocks. The local places wanted to put on a different lift and I wouldnt allow it. After the lift I went back and ordered the track bar and had it installed and I must say it is top notch. I will definitely keep TeraFlex in mind for any future items I may need. Thank you for your help here both of you.
Thanks for choosing TeraFlex! I am more than happy to help out.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Need? No, you probably can get by without needing to replace it for some time especially if you don't go off road. The problem will come if you flex your Jeep on the trail as your longer shocks will allow for enough droop to cause your shaft to tear on the exhaust cross over - this is something your other Jeeps wouldn't of had a problem with, only your new 2012. Aside from that, the increased angle in your drive shaft will cause your output shaft CV boot to fail prematurely and that will cause the joint itself to fail as well. This won't happen all at once but, it will happen.
Wayoflife thank you as well for letting me in on this. I do have another question for you if you do not mind. I see everyone getting the AEV Procal for the 07-11 especially autos for the gear change and everything. Is this something that will help a 12 manual. I understand the issue on the automatic transmission but outside of being a little off on speedo would it have any benefit at all? Thanks again for your quick response in regards to the drive shaft.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than the speedo it is mostly just tweaking a few options on a manual unless you regear then it is required to change gear ratio or the Jeep will go into limp mode. Some people just deal with the speedo being off and just do the math or run a GPS speedo. I liked the tweaks and wanted my speedo and odo to be accurate.

The tweaks I used were shutting off daytime driving lights and shutting off the one touch turn signals. Every time I bumped it on the trail it flashed the turn signal distracting me. The installer I used for regearing made sure I had the ability to reprogram before he would order my gears. The other thing I use the ProCal for that I love is when I winch it will hold a higher idle for me if I connect it. Just set the switches to the right mode and stick it in the plug. Gives me less to deal with if I don't have to worry about keeping RPMs up to keep the battery happy. Leaves me to concentrate on the pull.

Quick Reply: Do I really need a new driveshaft?