Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic

Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Are the Eaton E-lockers the units currently being used for the 2012+ Rubicon models?
No, the Tru-Loc electric locker supplied in the JK Rubicon is made by GKN.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you guys seem to know what you're talking about, can someone tell me if I can add an E Locker to my OEM rear Trac Lock limited slip or does the E Locker totally replace it? I want the LSD for daily driving more than I want the ability to fully lock the rear up. But I was on the Jeep site last night and the new Moab version comes with the LSD but has an optional full locker and the way I read it made it sound like you'd have both if you opted for the optional locker. Ideally, I'd have both. But if not, my plan is to keep the OEM Trac Lock in the rear and add the E Locker to the front. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Since you guys seem to know what you're talking about, can someone tell me if I can add an E Locker to my OEM rear Trac Lock limited slip or does the E Locker totally replace it? I want the LSD for daily driving more than I want the ability to fully lock the rear up. But I was on the Jeep site last night and the new Moab version comes with the LSD but has an optional full locker and the way I read it made it sound like you'd have both if you opted for the optional locker. Ideally, I'd have both. But if not, my plan is to keep the OEM Trac Lock in the rear and add the E Locker to the front. Thanks.
No but sorry. A locker is a type of carrier and an LSD is a different type of carrier. I am not aware of any selectable lockers that operate in an LSD mode when off as all are in an open mode when off.

However the lsd is for offroad use not the street. The traction control system is far more responsive on the street than an lsd.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

An auburn ECTED electric Locker is a lsd that turns into a locker when on but you still need to replace your lsd carrier
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JKBender: on wet pavement, I would think the LSD would transfer power to the second tire upon slipping, and then both tires would need to spin to get the TC to kick in. Do you think that's correct? That's what seems to be the case on my JK. The pavement pulling out of my office is slick when wet. It seems like if I just throttle it enough, and feather it, I can get the back end loose and keep the tires just barely slipping before the TC kicks in. Thoughts anyone? I heard the ECTED wears out even faster than the Trac Lock will. Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
JKBender: on wet pavement, I would think the LSD would transfer power to the second tire upon slipping, and then both tires would need to spin to get the TC to kick in. Do you think that's correct? That's what seems to be the case on my JK. The pavement pulling out of my office is slick when wet. It seems like if I just throttle it enough, and feather it, I can get the back end loose and keep the tires just barely slipping before the TC kicks in. Thoughts anyone? I heard the ECTED wears out even faster than the Trac Lock will. Thanks guys.
The goal of an lsd is to provide 50/50 power distribution to both wheel, even when one wheel looses traction. The goal of tc is to provide 100% power to the wheel that has traction. As a result I would expect the two to be working against each other on the street when say you hit a patch of ice.

I would suspect that the lsd would delay the response of the tc system. I petsonally like an air locker because it gives me a locked diff on the ttail and on the street I am not influencing the tc system at all. Also, the jk's new break lock diff system (bdl) is about as good as a ls in my opinion, so I belive the air locker alows for the best of all worlds.

My issue that this thread highlights is that my 12 auto cannot be run locked in high range. This is an issue for me at the sand dunnes.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by onsafari
There are no adjustments to make on the rear axle....even if you have adjustable rear control arms the only thing your are going to do is adjust pinion angle....but they still does nothing as far as alignment goes.

If the shop claims they did a 4 wheeln alignment then you got taken.

Now they put those alignment paddle things on all for wheels regardless of the alignment performed.
With adjustable rear arms, thrust angle as well as correct relationship and distanse with the body and front axle can be adjusted.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Abs light.

I have a 2009 2door manual trans. Just had a Yukon locker installed in my dana30 and all the abs esp and traction lights come on then go off when it feels like. I guess the locker is freaking out the computer. Thought it was my sensors but replaced all and still goes on and off steering is centered and everything probably just the computer freaking out with the Yukon locker. Anyone else in counter this type of situation?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking to regear my 2012 auto from 3.21's to 4.56's and put an ARB in the rear. Am I looking at problem's with the ARB? Should I just go open front and rear? I eventually wanted to put a PR44 in the front as well but that's at least 2 years. Anyone put an ARB in a 2012 Auto?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theZombie
I am looking to regear my 2012 auto from 3.21's to 4.56's and put an ARB in the rear. Am I looking at problem's with the ARB? Should I just go open front and rear? I eventually wanted to put a PR44 in the front as well but that's at least 2 years. Anyone put an ARB in a 2012 Auto?
We've sold numerous axles with ARBs to 2012 (and 13) owners with no issues. Detroit Locker or similar is where we're seeing problems.

Quick Reply: Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic