Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Does this look right?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Your front axle is rotated too far forward, causing the coil to bow out. If you have adjustable links, you can easily fix this.

I agree with this.
BYUCOUG had a shop do his and he had the same issue that I had to fix. Try closer to 7 degrees.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your lift have adjustable arms? If so adj the caster. You dont need a shop, just a couple wrench's an angle finder and the jack from the back of the jeep.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your Track Bar is backwards and upside down.

It appears they put negative caster in instead of positive. Your drivers side spring should be bowed forward and passenger side bowed aft.

The reason they're bowed opposite is because of the lower spring seats.....look at them. The bottom coil of the spring starts on the front on the passenger side and at the rear on the drivers side, this and the angle (+4.5 degrees of caster) of your axle causes the springs to bow opposite.

My lower arms are set to 23.25" and uppers at 19.0".
Stock is 22.5" and 18.75"

This gave me 4.75 degrees of positive caster on a 3" lift.

My drivers side spring has about .250" clearance to my sway bar end link and my passenger side has about .750" clearance

~
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

I did notice how the front springs are mounted and they look like they were set in there fine and the isolator pads are in at the top..... it's just that the drivers side spring looks straight up and down and the passenger one is bowed forward so it is nearly hitting the sway bar link. I read on here somewhere that as long as it is not hitting then it won't unless i happen to bend (damage) the suspension. Is this correct? I only have a 2.5 in lift so i'd be happy to get them to put the castor back to 4.5 or 5 degrees but if closer to 7 is better for my size lift then i'll have them do that. I paid almost $700 bucks to have this lift and adj. arms/ track bars installed so i'm taking it back next week and getting them to correct it.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, this is what mine looks like with the caster set at +4.75 degrees and the axle centered.

Again, the passenger side spring is bowed aft and the drivers side forward. Although the drivers side spring doesn't look as bowed as the passengers side in this picture, but it does only have about ..250" clearance to the Sway Bar End Link. Opposite of yours.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PassengerSpring.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2951  
Old 08-26-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Shop that did your work should fix it all and no complaints from them.
Their work sucks and you need to let them know you are posting here for all to read.

If they don't help you out join the mafia and get some justice...
Old 08-26-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

If i wanted to work on my jeep myself as far as messing with suspension components would i need an impact wrench or could i get all the suspension nuts and bolts loose enough to get off and then tight enough again with just regular wrenches and a torque wrench?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

You could do it all w/o an impact. Def need 1/2" drive sockets, torque wrench, and maybe a breaker bar. i would recommend the impact wrench, thy are not to expensive at harbor freight.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take it back to the shop and make them do it right. They probably didn't even read the directions. Ask them what they would do if you lost control and got killed and later it was determined that it was due to poor installation of your lift. $700 for the install is reasonable for a complete install with everything set to your liking. It sounds like you paid $700 and got the $200 install....

Later-

Quick Reply: Does this look right?