Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Does this seem fair?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
I'll give them both a call tomorrow, thanks Mike, glad there's another Virginian here to help!
I have never used either one but do know they both have a strong reputation.

There is also X-treme inc in Fredericksburg, VA X-Treme Inc
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Athens_GA_JKU
For what it's worth I just went from 3.21 to 4.56 for less than $1200 out the door. I am in GA. Great investment as far as I am concerned.
Sorry to hijack, but where did you get yours done? It wouldn't happen to be bch offroad would it?
Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read up on the differences between Lsd, selectable and tru-tracs (non eaton). To me, lsd doesnt seem like a wise long term decision.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Read up on the differences between Lsd, selectable and tru-tracs (non eaton). To me, lsd doesnt seem like a wise long term decision.
Hmm okay, what do you know that I don't? I will say I don't want anything other than a selectable locker up front and I can say I've never found myself in a situation where I needed a front locker. Essentially, it's either a LSD up front or open diff because I can't afford an OX cable locker and I don't want air lockers or electric lockers.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

From what I've found in my research (I may be wrong, i'm not an expert on lockers) it seems that lsd's work on friction similar to how a manual clutch does. Over time the surfaces wear down and are less effective.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

From what I've found in my research (I may be wrong, i'm not an expert on lockers) it seems that lsd's work on friction similar to how a manual clutch does. Over time the surfaces wear down and are less effective.
Maybe you need a little more research? The truetrac is owned by Eaton, the same people that make the detroit locker, and there is no 'non-Eaton' truetrac. (Tractech used to make the truetrac until Eaton bought the company 10 years ago.)

The truetrac uses helical gears, not clutches. Clutches wear out when tires spin offroad, the gears in the truetrac do not. I can't comment on how 'independent' it was, but here is some independent testing on the various limited slips.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...Name=CT_139762

And as far as truetrac being a wise decision goes - it completely depends on individual opinion, budget and use. If someone 'needs' a locker, there is no substitute. But realistically, how many of the hundred thousand members of this site actually 'need' lockers? Ya know, the people who spend a significant portion of their offroad time with tires in the air? 5%? 2%? Less? For the vast majority of people, a pair of truetracs will be all the traction they will ever need. And if you read a few dozen of the truetrac related threads, you will see people with them are following people with selectable lockers with no issues at all. For the price point (a 'pair' of truetracs cost less $$ than a 'single' selectable locker), the truetrac is a great traction device, and well worth considering. But it certainly doesn't have the bling factor of being able to brag about your selectable lockers ...
Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bigcharlie58

Sorry to hijack, but where did you get yours done? It wouldn't happen to be bch offroad would it?
Classic City Offroad in Athens. Great service.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for that. I did read somewhere (which I can't find at the moment) that lsd's have points of friction similar to how a clutch works. I wasn't insinuating it is a "clutch". Maybe I read it wrong, but it made sense when I read it. are trutracs a proprietary brand name then? Or are there similar setups that are mistakenly called trutracs? Maybe it's a situation where people call tissue kleenex? (Hope that made sense)
I for one favor the trutrac setup and from what I said above about lsd, don't prefer a lsd. The cost savings of a trutrac versus a selectable locker is so great it makes sense to go that route. I read something on this forum from someone recently that stood out to me. He said that trutracs help you to not get stuck in the first place where a selectable locker would then be needed.
I would say that for the best possible peice of mind a selectable would be nice. I've thought that when I do end up upgrading from my open diffs I would go trutrac in the rear and a selectable in the front. Or just trutrac front and rear. Of course I'm sure the more extreme you wheel, the more a selectable would be the best choice. I don't wheel that hard and won't unless I somehow become independently wealthy lol. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being very extreme I probably have wheeled around a 5 but would like to be able to do 7 or maybe 8. I'm in norcal and haven't been to the rubicon yet but from all the vids iv seen of it, I'd probably not want to try anything much harder than that
Old 11-22-2014, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Maybe you need a little more research? The truetrac is owned by Eaton, the same people that make the detroit locker, and there is no 'non-Eaton' truetrac. (Tractech used to make the truetrac until Eaton bought the company 10 years ago.)

The truetrac uses helical gears, not clutches. Clutches wear out when tires spin offroad, the gears in the truetrac do not. I can't comment on how 'independent' it was, but here is some independent testing on the various limited slips.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...Name=CT_139762

And as far as truetrac being a wise decision goes - it completely depends on individual opinion, budget and use. If someone 'needs' a locker, there is no substitute. But realistically, how many of the hundred thousand members of this site actually 'need' lockers? Ya know, the people who spend a significant portion of their offroad time with tires in the air? 5%? 2%? Less? For the vast majority of people, a pair of truetracs will be all the traction they will ever need. And if you read a few dozen of the truetrac related threads, you will see people with them are following people with selectable lockers with no issues at all. For the price point (a 'pair' of truetracs cost less $$ than a 'single' selectable locker), the truetrac is a great traction device, and well worth considering. But it certainly doesn't have the bling factor of being able to brag about your selectable lockers ...
I have to agree with this post unless you are a rock crawler Tru-trac will work in almost every other condition even rocks to some extent. The best part is they work seamlessly, no clunks, or hesitation. If they would come out with a selectable that was a truetrac in its unlocked form, you would have the perfect differential setup. You might also be surprised how little you really need lockers.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

are trutracs a proprietary brand name then? Or are there similar setups that are mistakenly called trutracs? Maybe it's a situation where people call tissue kleenex? (Hope that made sense)t
You might be confusing it with the TracLok, which is the optional factory clutch-based limited slip? The Truetrac, (Eaton 'Detroit Locker' and Eaton 'Detroit Truetrac') is also a limited slip, just a much better limited slip.

The 'helping not get stuck' comment was probably a quote from the gentleman at Dynatrac? Great little story...

You also touched on the Bias (friction). Here is another quote that might help explain it. I like the comment about the JK's electronic BLD system working seamlessly to help the Truetrac provide traction to the spinning tire.

The Truetrac will act like an open diff and freespin if a tire is lifted off the ground (or zero traction). The BLD is sensing spin in these situations and clamping the brake. The TT senses brake (as traction) and power moves across the diff to the side that is on the ground.

To better understand this I'll offer an explanation of bias.

Truetracs have a bias ratio of prox 3-1. This means that 3 times the torque from 1 side can be transferred to the other. A tire in the air provides zero torque back to the diff so zero will be transferred to the ground. When brake is applied the diff is sensing torque from that axle and 3 times that torque is being put down on the ground. The more brake is applied (meaning the lifted tire won't turn even when throttle is applied) , the more torque transfers. The question is- Is enough torque being transferred to help move the vehicle? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the other axle is providing some help that means the axle with the lifted tire doesn't need to provide as much torque to make the rig move.

Clear as mud, right?

Quick Reply: Does this seem fair?