Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dog barrier

Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dog barrier

Has anyone built there own dog barrier to keep there dog from climbing around in the front?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by domingo
Has anyone built there own dog barrier to keep there dog from climbing around in the front?
I think Safari Straps makes one. Or a diy way could be to buy those extra large mesh cargo nets from walmart. Seen a few like that. Anchor to the roll bar then either to the anchors in the back or rear of the front seat posts depending what section you want to contain your dog to

Last edited by sclan; 10-30-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just shoot the dog once or twice when it gets in the front seat. It's a bit messy but they learn fast... :P Just kidding!

Honestly I just worked with my dog until she had learned that she isn't allowed in the front seat unless I tell her. It's cheaper and more reliable I think.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubican
Just shoot the dog once or twice when it gets in the front seat. It's a bit messy but they learn fast... :P Just kidding!

Honestly I just worked with my dog until she had learned that she isn't allowed in the front seat unless I tell her. It's cheaper and more reliable I think.
I have a very well trained Great Dane named Bruno that listens to every word I tell him. Very obedient, well-mannered, polite, great in public and with kids and is good enough to walk off-leash. However, he is extremely and uncontrollably terrified of thunder and lightning. So much so, that he jumps into bed with us and manages to bury himself under the sheets, trembling in fear. Try to picture a 170lb trembling dog jump into your bed at 3am during a thunderstorm!

I say this because on our way back home from the mountains last week (a 3-hour drive), it began to rain. I was driving my JK with my 3-year old daughter in her carseat behind the driver's seat and my wife was driving our 1989 YJ, so I had no one in the passenger seat (for now). The rain began to hit harder and harder and I saw Bruno's head poke up from behind the rear seats several times. I spoke to him and soothed him. Until the lighting struck and the thunder rolled. In a single movement, Bruno lept from the rear of the Jeep straight into the passenger seat, trembling in fear. I slowed down, pulled over and managed to get him in the back again. The rain subsided and we managed to get home safely with no other interruptions.

Needless to say, I will be getting a dog barrier net from Safari Straps.

Here he is at the top of Mt. Mitchell - it was 38 degrees and he was cold. He wanted to get back inside and just watch us from inside the Jeep.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nclehmann
I have a very well trained Great Dane named Bruno that listens to every word I tell him. Very obedient, well-mannered, polite, great in public and with kids and is good enough to walk off-leash. However, he is extremely and uncontrollably terrified of thunder and lightning. So much so, that he jumps into bed with us and manages to bury himself under the sheets, trembling in fear. Try to picture a 170lb trembling dog jump into your bed at 3am during a thunderstorm!

I say this because on our way back home from the mountains last week (a 3-hour drive), it began to rain. I was driving my JK with my 3-year old daughter in her carseat behind the driver's seat and my wife was driving our 1989 YJ, so I had no one in the passenger seat (for now). The rain began to hit harder and harder and I saw Bruno's head poke up from behind the rear seats several times. I spoke to him and soothed him. Until the lighting struck and the thunder rolled. In a single movement, Bruno lept from the rear of the Jeep straight into the passenger seat, trembling in fear. I slowed down, pulled over and managed to get him in the back again. The rain subsided and we managed to get home safely with no other interruptions.

Needless to say, I will be getting a dog barrier net from Safari Straps.

Here he is at the top of Mt. Mitchell - it was 38 degrees and he was cold. He wanted to get back inside and just watch us from inside the Jeep.

Bruno looks like a kind soul
Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Steel Rain
Bruno looks like a kind soul
Thank you. Bruno is the best dog I've ever been with. He turns 4 at the end of this year. We rescued him when he was just over a year old. Here he is with our 3-year old at our mountain cabin (although this was taken last winter and our daughter was only 2 at the time).

The point is: get a dog barrier net. It's safer for the dog and for everyone else in the Jeep.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a small dog and when we have him in the JK its usually in the back seat...If I have to leave the vehicle for anything I have to put the center console lid up so he wont jump up to the drivers seat...so the center console lid is my dog barrier
Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nclehmann
Thank you. Bruno is the best dog I've ever been with. He turns 4 at the end of this year. We rescued him when he was just over a year old. Here he is with our 3-year old at our mountain cabin (although this was taken last winter and our daughter was only 2 at the time).

The point is: get a dog barrier net. It's safer for the dog and for everyone else in the Jeep.
My Parents would foster dogs back in the 70's when I was in High School (dating myself) They fostered a fawnskin Dane. She was great dog and yes they are misundersood by most people.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I decided to get a dog barrier, even though our dog hadn't yet jumped on the front seat. But she may do so when left alone long. And I had her jump from the back of an SUV to the rear seats and then the passenger seat once when I took the car through the carwash ... scared the hell out of her.

This is the net I bought from Aspen Mfg, it's called the Front Barrier Net at $ 59.99. I guess getting an elastic net with some hooks and wrapping it round the roll cage is cheaper, but I am very happy with this setup.

The net has hooks that hook up perfectly into the seat 'legs'. At the top, you just wrap it round the roll bar and tighten. It does sag a bit when it's wet and cold outside, so you'll have to re-tighten.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I was reading the story about your Dane in bed I laughed and had a full image of marmaduke wetting the bed in fear and everyone getting flooded. Yeah I can definately understand a dog net for that. If I didn't get so lucky with Lucy and how well she takes to training I have to admit I would have gotten one too. She seems to drool a lot the older she gets.

Quick Reply: dog barrier