Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drag link bar and trackbar alignment help

Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag link bar and trackbar alignment help

Have a 2 door x on 37's and a TF4". I don't have any aftermarket stuff on the front end and have TERRIBLE bumpsteer( currently in the shop) if the trackbar and the drag link were more even to each other would that make better geometry for driving? Make bumpsteer go away?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I need to know guys! Dealer said everything checks out good in front end. I don't know what to do!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend some money and beef it up especially if you have 37s. Teraflex Drag Link Flip Kit (and frame brace if you want it) and remove the dropped pitman arm if you have one, add a Teraflex or JKS Trackbar, replace the stabilizer with a more "heavy duty" one and get a relocation bracket for it from Jeep Swag.

A picture of your front end would also help a bunch so we can really see what's going on.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Bump steer is usually caused by bad steering geometry. The general guideline is ensuring your drag link and track bar are as parallel to one another as possible.... Tape string from mounting point to mounting point and see if the two strings are parallel. If not, possible bump steer cause.

bulletproofsteering.com/geometry.html

If they are parallel, your 4" lift may be too steep of an angle for your steering components and so a drag link flip may be something to look into.

Sent via iPhone
Old 10-25-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Bump steer is usually caused by bad steering geometry. The general guideline is ensuring your drag link and track bar are as parallel to one another as possible.... Tape string from mounting point to mounting point and see if the two strings are parallel. If not, possible bump steer cause.

bulletproofsteering.com/geometry.html

If they are parallel, your 4" lift may be too steep of an angle for your steering components and so a drag link flip may be something to look into.

Sent via iPhone
This has got to be it! I have a TF stabilizer and the stabilizer relocation bracket. My draglink and trackbar are no where near parallel. I take it that that is the culprit behind it all. If I hit even the smallest pothole my steering wheel goes super nuts untill I pull over and stop. Trackbar is torqued and bolt holes arnt ovaled out. Will the EVO draglink flip kit do the job? It has new trackbar brackets and a new draglink to flip for jeeps 3"+ in lift(thats me!). I haven't picked up my jeep from the dealer yet, so I can't get any pictures of the front end yet. Other than the SS, I'm completely stock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-976119668.png
Views:	405
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	228420  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

On a side note---- the dealer wants $650 to buy new swaybar links? And to install a duel stabilizer kit, and those will solve all my problems. I'm smelling a scam. Swaybar links really? I already have TF links and they are just fine! I'm not dumb, and stabilizers only mask the real problem.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
On a side note---- the dealer wants $650 to buy new swaybar links? And to install a duel stabilizer kit, and those will solve all my problems. I'm smelling a scam. Swaybar links really? I already have TF links and they are just fine! I'm not dumb, and stabilizers only mask the real problem.
Don't go that route. The price is BS. I would instead purchase Quick Disconnects (swaybar links) from Teraflex. I promise that anyone can install those and within 30 minutes. Just remember red locktite as the axle pegs can unscrew loose, especially on dirt roads.

Dual stabilizer is not necessary. And for the price you spend on a dual stabilizer, you might as while purchase a single Fox stabilizer that you can adjust the pressure. Even then, all you need is a basic steering stabilizer. Pro Comp, Teraflex, Rancho.... And that too you can easily install yourself within 30 minutes or less.

I would definitely listen to Dirtman in regards to the flip kit. He helped me out during my death wobble episode and my wheel wobble and bump steer issue throughout time. With your lift, I would definitely think that the drag link flip would highly benefit you.

Last edited by RN M OVR; 10-25-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I replied to fast to your post to really be more beneficial.... On top of highly looking into a flip kit, I would also see what aftermarket ball joints are out there, assuming yours are bad. My ball joints were toast and that was the main culprit to my wheel wobble problem, which would sometimes lead to death wobble. And, if you feel you do not have the mechanical skills and/or patience to install ball joints, do not pay more than $350 for a shop to install all four! Desert Rat 4x4 in AZ, that was there price. I ended up doing the install myself though. 12 hours but well worth it for my first time.

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My draglink and trackbar are no where near parallel.
You don't have a trackbar bracket (or) a drop pitman installed? Using one without the other is a good way to get bad angles and bumpsteer. And x3 on the flip, much better choice than a bracket/pitman combo.

Here is a good steering geometry vid by TeraFlex. Take a pic mark the holes and connect them to see just how out of whack you are.
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3016...02496289IjoMUo
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You don't have a trackbar bracket (or) a drop pitman installed? Using one without the other is a good way to get bad angles and bumpsteer. And x3 on the flip, much better choice than a bracket/pitman combo.

Here is a good steering geometry vid by TeraFlex. Take a pic mark the holes and connect them to see just how out of whack you are.
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3016...02496289IjoMUo
What do you think of the EVO kit I posted about? Is that what I need?

Quick Reply: Drag link bar and trackbar alignment help