Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

draglink flip

Old 02-17-2018, 10:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default draglink flip

I was curious if you need to do a draglink flip for 3.5" lift? Right now I'm running 3" lift with 37s and am going up to 3.5" springs and 40s.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Many will say it is necessary, but I think it's a preference. See how much height you gain with the new coils, and get a feel for any changes in the way it handles, then decide from there.

At about 4" actual lift height, I did not have bumpsteer, but did have body roll from not having raised brackets at either end. I could definitely feel the difference when the brackets went on, but didn't really notice a change to the steering from the flip. (both brackets and the flip were done at the same time)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a drag link flip with my 3.5”game changer. Before the flip, I had no bumpsteer. After I did the flip, I had terrible bumpsteer. I ended up raising my track bar with an after truss. So in short, I would not worry about it, if you don’t want to do it.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Many will say it is necessary, but I think it's a preference. See how much height you gain with the new coils, and get a feel for any changes in the way it handles, then decide from there.
Agree, this is one of those things you can change the springs, see what actual lift you gain, and see how it is with the tires, THEN make that decision.

I personally had a decent bit of bump steer with 3.5" RK springs and about 3.75" of actual lift up front. I drove like that for quite a while....it wasn't terrible, but I noticed it. When I put a truss on, I opted for a raised TB bracket and went with a Yeti 26 no-drill flip. I immediately noticed a big difference IMO, and wished I had done it sooner.......but, I can see how everyone's experience differs.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Az scooter
I have a drag link flip with my 3.5”game changer. Before the flip, I had no bumpsteer. After I did the flip, I had terrible bumpsteer. I ended up raising my track bar with an after truss. So in short, I would not worry about it, if you don’t want to do it.
Did you flip the dragline and not raise the axle bracket? It makes no sense you would get more bump steer from doing a flip unless something was not set up right. Flipping the drag link and raising the track bar bracket will flatten the links and improve tracking, minimize axle shift during articulation, raises the roll center reducing body roll, and increase the potential articulation you have that can occur in binding of the TRE's. Only drawbacks are cost (around $300) and the need for 3-3.5" of extra bump stop but with 40" tires you are going to be running that much bump stop anyway.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Az scooter

You flipped your drag link, realized it drove like shit, and then raised your track bar? Just no dude. It's supposed to happen all together, or not at all.
The following users liked this post:
MrRescuePack (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so when i do a 3.5 Inch lift, I should also get a drag link and raise my track bar or not do it at all?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRescuePack
OK, so when i do a 3.5 Inch lift, I should also get a drag link and raise my track bar or not do it at all?
Both, or neither. The idea is to keep those two bars parallel to each other, while lessening the steeper angles caused by the lift. If you only do one, then the bars are not parallel, and you 'cause' bumpsteer.

Flip:
Raise the axle end of the draglink to the top of the knuckle AND raise the axle end of the trackbar with a bracket (or as part of a truss).

Drop Pitman:
Lower frame end of draglink AND move the trackbar with a bracket.
The following users liked this post:
MrRescuePack (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Yes, if you are at 3.5”+of lift you should be doing a drag link flip.

Quick Reply: draglink flip